The Trouble with Revenge

Cap was sitting by the bank of the Tug River. A shotgun in his lap and a flask in his hand. A low whistle escaped his lips. He took in his surroundings. The river flowed smoothly while the sun's reflection gleamed on the crystal water. A dusting of snow covered the ground. The snow was bright and pure but cold to the touch. The snow reminded him of two people; Lydia and Nancy McCoy. Two very different people but eerily the same. Both look so innocent and pure. Unfortunately, tragic events in their lives changed that. Both seek revenge for the ones they love. Both would go the extra mile to protect their family's. The difference, Lydia still has love in her heart while Nancy's is stone cold.

        Cap was jerked from his thoughts when something bumped his shoulder. He looked over to see a grinning Cotton.
"This came for ya." Cotton said through his toothy grin.
"Thanks." Cap grabbed the envelope from Cotton and carefully opened it. 
"What is it?" Cotton asked while peering over Cap's shoulder.

"It's a letter from Lyddie." Cap mumbled.
"What's it say?!" Cotton asked eagerly.
"Dear Cap,
        You won't believe what happened! The John Rockefeller came to me for help. I'm sure you heard about the anti-monopoly sentiment spreading across the country. He's scared he'll lose the oil monopoly. I helped him figure out a way to fight it in court but I'm afraid the judge is dead set on ruining Rockefeller. I'm scared to say more in a letter. 
        I miss you all terribly. Mother likes Johnse but she agrees you're the better brother. We received a letter from Senator Price. Him and his wife are coming for dinner Saturday night. I pray Kane does not accompany them. No need for you to worry. I hear he's still missing his front teeth. Say hello to everyone for me. Tell Cotton I'm bringing him a surprise.
        The distance between us seems to be making life harder than I thought it would. Two minds that were once so close and so known to one another are now so far apart that it feels like I no longer remember what it was like to know you at all. But everytime I see the color blue, whiskey, blond hair, a loving couple, or look in the mirror I remember. You're everywhere. I will not allow this to harm us. I will hold on until you return to me, no matter when that may be. I love you and the way I feel for you will never be changed by distance, though I may miss you. This will be over soon. I hope this time apart brings us closer. I took you for granted and I'm sorry.
                                                                                                                                                                  Your love,
                                                                                                                                                                   Lyddie"

        "A surprise?! I wonder what it is!" Cotton exclaimed excitedly.

"I don't know Cot." Cap was so caught up in her words the he forgot Cotton Top was there. 
"I hope she's back soon."
"Me too. As soon as this is over I'm gonna go get 'er." 
"Can I come?"
"Sure Cot. If you can keep a secret."
"What kind of secret?"
"When I go get 'er, I'm gonna give 'er this."He pulls out the ring Henrietta gave him out of his pocket.

"Is it her birthday?" Cotton inquired.
"No. I'm gonna ask 'er to marry me."
"Marry you? Like Unlce Anse and Aunt Levicy?" Cotton questioned.
"Yeah. Like them Cot. Don't tell anyone."

"I ain't gonna tell a soul." He promised seriously.

       "I need your help."
"You need my help?" Cotton asked shocked. No one had asked him for help since his Pa died. 
"I reckon. I need to be a better man Cotton. A better temper. A better home and job."
"Miss Lyddie said she didn't want better. She wants ya."
"I know what she said but she deserves better."
"How am I gonna help ya?"
"You're the best man I know."
"You really mean that?" Cotton's eyes lit up.
"I do. Uncle Ellison did a mighty fine job. I wish he could see ya now."
"Thanks Cap. Do ya think my Pa would be proud of me?"
"He is. He always was." Cap assured him. Cotton's smile spread over his face. 

It was peaceful. Cap relaxed at the feeling.  Peace was something he had not felt in quite sometime.

       "It was a pleasure seeing you Lydia. Don't be a stranger." John Rockefeller kissed her hand. 
"The pleasure is mine. Thank you for the opportunity." Lydia curtsied. Rockefeller tipped his hat and left.

       "I don't like that man." Henrietta proclaimed as soon as he shut the door. Lydia was sure he heard her.
"I know Mother but he's Daddy's client and he's a good man."
"He looks at you like a dog looks at a bone. I don't like it. When's Cap coming back?" 
"Hopefully soon. He doesn't need to know about Mr. Rockefeller's behavior."
"Yes he most certainly does!"
"Then I'll tell him."
"Fine. I'll stay out of it." Henrietta grumbled.
"Thank you." Lydia smiled.

Two Days Later: Saturday

       Lydia was dressed in her Sunday best. She was wearing her absolute favorite dress. It was a beautiful royal purple. It hugged her waist perfectly then flared out. She paired it with a black hat and lace gloves. Her hair was in an elegant bun (A/N No Flower). 
"I pray Kane doesn't come." Lydia sighed as she sat in front of her mirror.
"If he does he's as dumb as his Father."
"Mother!" Lydia exclaimed but she could not help but laugh.
"We'll just talk about Cap. That should scare him off."
"I wish he was here." Lydia admitted.
"Oh honey, I know. I miss your Father dearly as well. We just have to trust them and in God. They'll be here soon."

        Lydia finished getting ready by applying make-up under her eyes. She did not sleep well last night. For the past week, she has been having dreams about Cap. At first, they were good. Some about her and Cap sitting by the fire. Sometimes she was holding a beautiful baby with blond curls and blue eyes. But last night was different. Last night was a nightmare.  All she saw was Cap and Cotton swinging high with a rope around their necks. Her screams filled the background. She tried to wake up but she just could not. When she finally did wake up, her sheets were covered in sweat and her face was tear-stained. Lydia has never believed in all that crazy mumbo jumbo but the dream still terrified her. She wanted to confide in her Mother but Henrietta has enough on her plate already.

        Lydia and Henrietta had just finished setting the table when a knock came from the door. 
"You bring the food to the table. I'll get the door." Henrietta said. Lydia did as she was told.
"Well Kane! It's so lovely to see you!" Henrietta exclaimed loudly so Lydia could hear her. Lydia plastered a fake smile on her face and went to greet her guest. 
"Well Ms. Wilson, you look lovely as ever. Purple suits you." Kane complimented. 
"Isn't it a lovely dress? Cap sent it to her. Such a sweet boy. Shall we eat?" Henrietta lied smoothly before Lydia could speak.

       The evening went surprisingly pleasant. Kane kept to himself. Occasionally, Lydia would catch him staring at her but that was all.

      Lydia was taking dishes to the sink when a hand grabbed her arm. 
"Lydia. we need to talk." Kane pleaded. 
"We have nothing to talk about."
"There was....conflict. The papers are calling it The Battle of Grapvine." He started.
"What are you on about?"
"The Hatfield's learned that Bad Frank and his men were coming for them. Nancy McCoy is in a medical center and they believe the Hatfield's poisoned her. Anse decided to meet them half way. There were a few captives and some deaths."
"You're lying." She said through gritted teeth.
"Ask my Father. It's true."
"Who all..." She could not bring herself to finish the sentence. Not only could the Hatfield's be dead but it is her fault. She just had to get revenged.
"I know for sure a boy named Billy died." Lydia paled. Billy was just a young boy. He had his whole future ahead of him. 
"And Cap..." He started.
"No. He's alive. He can't die." Lydia refused to hear Kane tell her that her beloved Cap was murdered by any McCoy.
"Him and Cotton Top were arrested."
"I have to go. I can get them out." She tried to leave.

"Lydia, I gave my good friend Perry Cline orders not to release them without my say so."
"Well you're gonna have ta go give your say so."
"I'm afraid I can't do that."
"Please Kane, I'll do anything. Just get them out safe and alive."
"Anything?" 
"Yes."
"You're going to have to elaborate on that sweetheart." He smirked. Lydia knew what he wanted. It was the last thing she wanted to do but it would keep Cap and Cotton safe.
"I'll marry you."