Chapter 20

Austin looked at me and I saw a mixture of emotions run through him. Sadness, betrayal, hurt, and anger. The words he said when he finally spoke had me at a loss of words.

"We're over."

&With that, he walked out of my hospital room leaving me speechless.

I didn't even have the courage to call after him.

Part of me thought that I deserved this. I mean, to kiss his best friend.

Maybe I am a slut. But part of me just wanted this to be a nightmare.

I know what I did was awful, but cmon, he had sex with Avery. The bitch of all bitches.

I had so many thoughts running through my mind that I hadn't even realized that my parents had walked in.

"Kaleigh?Kaleigh?" my dad was repeating over and over again.

"Yeah dad?" I asked him bursting out of my thoughts and looking up into the faces of my worried parents.

"How are you honey?" my mom cut in, grabbing my hand.

"I'm fine mom. Just some soreness on my right side and my ankle really hurts." I told her, wincing as she rubbed it.

"Now, honey how did this happen?" my mom asked me slowly looking up to meet my eyes with blue ones of her own.

"Was it Drew?" my dad asked me, anger flaring his eyes.

"Da-"

"Don't lie to me Kaleigh. Austin already told us. You know, I don't know why you always try and protect this guy. I'd beat the living hell out of him if you'd let me. How did he get here? Did he follow us all the way to California? I'm calling the poli-"

"Dad. Please don't do that. I'm sorry for causing all of this.  I just don't want anything to happen to you guys." I breathed out.

"Honey, if that is what this whole thing was about in the first place, you could have told us. He wont hurt us Kaleigh. If you just let us call the pol-" my mom started off, tears filling her eyes.

"Mom, please." I begged her.

"Kaleigh, this has gone on long enough." my dad stated, anger clearly taking over him.

This all felt like a dream. Like a never-ending nightmare. I just wanted my life to go back to how it used to be.

Back in Miami, with my friends. My best friend. Heather. Helping me with whatever I needed and always being there for me.

I missed my home.

I missed my family.

I hate it here. Hate it.

The one person that comes into my life to make it all worth while, and I ruin it. I wanted Austin. I needed Austin. I guess that everything has its reasons.

******

After I was let out to go back home a day later, I realized that I was going to have to miss an entire month of school. My parents had spoken to my teachers and it had been worked out that I would receive all of my classwork and homework via internet.

I was kind of enjoying this time off so far.

No drama, no Mrs.Mayfield, no Avery, and No Austin.

Even though he and Mason lived down the street from me, I had no reason to leave the house-except for my weekly doctors appointments.

Haven called me every free period she got, to check on me.

I hadn't revived any calls from Mason, nor Austin.

As I was preparing to grab my crutches and head downstairs for a snack, I felt my phone vibrate from my jacket pocket.

I unlocked the screen, and realized that it was an unknown number.
'As If it weren't obvious, you're off the team.
Oh & btw, Austin stopped by last night. We had loads of fun ;)
xoxo
Avery.'

I was so mad.

I was past mad.

After all of my hard work, considering the condition I was in, I would have at least thought that they would have given me a suspension or put me on leave.

But I guess not.

I threw down my phone in a fit of rage, and made my way downstairs.

When I came back up, I noticed that my phone was lighting up.

The caller on the ID made me stop in my tracks.
Mason.

I didn't know how to react. Maybe I should answer. Maybe I shouldn't.

I humped my shoulders and hopped over to the phone.

"Hello?" I answered uneasily.

"Kaleigh?I'm so sorry about what happened. I don't know what came over me. Its just that, I really like you, and I thought that you felt the same about me. Look, I know this doesn't change anything, but for what its worth. I'm sorry Kaleigh."

Mason breathed out all at once, and for a moment I actually smiled for the first time that day.

******

After me and Mason had talked, I took the opportunity to lie down in my bed and relax.

We had talked for hours.

We worked everything out and I forgave him.

Actually, he was going to come over later to help me with the literature homework.

I smiled to myself.

All the while I was looking towards Austin, when Mason had been there all along.

He cared about me. He did anything to ensure that I was okay.

But most of all, he apologized.

A sincere apology coming from the heart and not from the mouth.

I liked Mason.

I was looking forward to his visit.

As I was in my thoughts about him, my phone rang, signaling that Mason had arrived.

I texted him to come in, and at that moment I heard my front door slam.

"Kaleigh?" he called out.

"In here!" I called out signaling for him to follow my voice.

He made his way up the stairs, and opened my room door.

"Hey Mason." I greeted him, warmly

and he stared at me in utter shock.

What's wrong with me? Was my hair not right? Did I have food around my mouth?

I was interrupted out of my thinking by him finally speaking.

"Kaleigh. You have no idea how much it pains me to see you like this." he said with pure sincerity and care in his eyes.

My heart pounded with joy.

Was this lust?

Did Mason really care about me?

Did I still care about Austin?