Chapter Fourteen

"Moon drunk monster, beautiful and strange, howl your melancholy question and tell me which you dread more; the echo or the answer?"

Track 14; Crossfire by Stephen

————— ☾ ❆ ☽ —————

Kinsey stood in the woods, mismatched eyes scanning through the filtering snow as it fell in thicker droves as each minute passed. The eerie shadows of the trees loomed over her average height, causing chills to run down her spine even through the thick winter jacket she wore as defense from the vicious freeze.

Her gloved fingers were bitter with cold, pins and needles underneath her manicured nails and traveling to her elbows, a mix of anxiety latched in with them. Her legs felt heavy as if they were made of lead when it revealed itself to her. She immediately knew it wasn't Marco or any of the lycans flanking the forage on either side and behind her. No, they had to be downwind of her or else their positions would be revealed to the Newblood.

She bit harshly on her bottom lip and pulled the dead skin off with her teeth, tasting the metallic sensation of blood on her tongue as it pooled with her own salivation at the bottom of her mouth.

She didn't have time to react when it lunged, and neither did the lycans who were supposed to keep her safe.

Its front paws forced her backwards into the snow as it's large canines found purchase in her right thigh. A strangled cry left her lips when she felt teeth puncture her leg.

————— ☾ ❆ ☽ —————

"What happened?" Jami was up in an instant when your sliding glass door was thrown open, Ace crashing through with Kinsey in tow in his arms.

"It got ahold of her, that fucking thing was fast." Ace was physically shaking as he stumbled into the living room, his fear pheromones coursing through the room.

You yanked the throw pillows off the couch so he could set her down. "Is she going to change?"

Nami came rushing from the bathroom with a first aid kit in tow and tossed it at Law. He caught it with ease due to his quick reflexes and sat on his knees next to the couch, ripping it open and digging through the medical equipment inside. Over the past month you learned that Law had medical training and was a freelance doctor for lycans. You didn't have a large enough one according to Law before he moved in, so he brought it with him when he decided he was living with you.

"What if we drain it?" Jami suggested.

"It isn't like a snake bite." Shachi popped up, positioned next to Law and handing him the supplies he needed as the alpha got to work on cleaning the wound.

"So she's going to change." You sighed, rubbing your temples and tapping your foot worriedly on the wooden flooring.

"Not today, but eventually. She might not even change at all." Gizmo explained.

"What do you mean she might not change?" You asked.

"You were bit when you were a toddler, (Y/N), and you've never shifted."

A deadly silence filled the room, some eyes focusing on Law who ignored them.

"Does that mean I'm immune?" Kinsey asked, watching with interest as Law put a needle with a numbing agent in her thigh. She was surprisingly calm about the whole situation; it was more than likely a shock response.

"No. The only reason (Y/N) never changed is because she has the bloodlines of a seer." Ace added.

"What does that have to do with anything?" You stared at your cousin, crossing your arms over your chest.