Chapter Eight

"But the wolf...the wolf only needs enough luck to find you once."

Track 8; Dark Star by Jaymes Young

————— ☾ ❆ ☽ —————

"Hello?"

"(Y/N)!" A familiar voice shouted through the phone.

You held the device away from your ear until she lowered her voice. "Be a big girl and use your inside voice, Gizmo. We've worked on this for years, don't forget all that training when you call me." You pinched the bridge of your nose in frustration.

She was silent for a moment before speaking up again, this time in an inaudible whisper. "Okay."

"That doesn't mean you have to whisper."

"Oh, okay!" She replied in a normal tone, softer than usual since she was normally a loud person.

"So, what's up? What did you call me for?" You inquired. You were sitting on the couch with Law's head in your lap, your fingers running carelessly through his hair as he watched the Christmas horror movie that was currently playing on the television, Krampus or something like that.

"I called to let you know that I'm hosting a surprise birthday party for Ace next Saturday." She explained. "It was Jami's idea but she wanted me to set it up because she knows how great I am at parties."

"I see, what time do you want me there?" You questioned, watching snow flurries descend from the cloudy sky and onto the furniture on your front porch.

"It's going to start at 5, but could you be at Ace's house by 3:30 so you can help the group set up? It'll be Kinsey, Marco, Thatch, Kid and I. Besides Sanji you're one of the best cooks I know and you know his favorite foods so I was wondering if you could do that, too?"

"I'd do anything for my favorite cousin." You looked down at Law when he sighed. "Who's all going?"

"Everybody, really. Luffy's pack, my pack, Marco's pack, etc. Oh, Law's been invited, too!"

You choked on any words you had in your throat, causing the lycan in your lap to glance up at you. When he looked back at the tv, you spoke again. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Of course it is! I already talked with the others and they said they wouldn't mind giving him a chance since he is a vagabond."

"Uh, okay. We'll see you on Saturday at 3:30 then I suppose."

"Great! Love you, bye!"

"I love you too, bye." You said, the phone call ended with a click a second after.

"So we're going to a party." He mumbled, wrapping an arm around the thigh he was resting his head on.

"Yeah, are you okay with that?" You inquired, shifting slightly to get more comfortable after he moved his hand.

"I'll just crash it again, hela.." He muttered, sparing you another glance.

"Nonsense. Just stay by me and everything will go smoothly." You continued playing with his hair, giving him a soft smile. That nickname of his was starting to stir something within you. "Trust me."

He nodded slightly, turning his glittering eyes back to the television. You prayed the party would turn out good. You didn't want it to be ruined, especially since it was Ace's birthday and it would be horrible if it was ruined by a fight.

————— ☾ ❆ ☽ —————

The week passed like a breeze and soon enough it was Saturday. You had ordered Ace's favorite cake—red velvet—from a fancy expensive bakery outside of Whitecap. In chocolate flavored icing read Happy Birthday Ace in cursive letters. You were proud of your work, even if you had dropped $200 on a time-consuming decorated cake.