Because I Love You

Magnus and Alec were led in bed together, their arms wrapped around each other. Alec was wide awake, listening to his sleeping boyfriend's gentle heartbeat. He'd woken up several hours before their alarm was due to go off, but he just couldn't sleep. In his mind he could picture young children, running around at the park, playing games and just being children. He wanted a child. So badly, but he knew that it was impossible for him and Magnus. Sighing quietly, Alec snuggled into Magnus' chest. Magnus stirred slightly.

"Alec?" He asked groggily.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I was just trying to get comfortable." Alec replied. Not lying because he was uncomfortable at first. Magnus opened his catlike eyes slightly. Studying Alec he could see the frustration on his face.

"Something's wrong. What's up?" Alec buried his head into Magnus' chest. Their room was dark; the sun had not yet started to rise. "Alec?" Magnus asked, worry in his voice.

"It's nothing. I promise. Let's just go back to sleep." Alec told him. They'd only been living together for a month and he didn't feel like it was fair to dump something like a child on Magnus. They'd never discussed it, and he didn't know if they ever would.

"Alec, you know you can talk to me. About absolutely anything. You don't have to keep things from me." Magnus told him with complete confidence. Alec shook his head.

"We can talk about it later. I know what you're like when you're tired." Alec looked up from Magnus' warm chest and kissed his forehead. "You get a bit grouchy." Magnus sighed and closed his eyes.

"Don't think you'll be able to get out of it later Alexander. You know I'll remember that we need to talk about whatever is bothering you." He said before settling back down to sleep. Alec shuddered slightly; he knew that when Magnus called him by his full name, he was deadly serious. Magnus never forgot anything, nothing important anyway, and to Magnus something bothering Alec was very important. Alec studied Magnus whilst he slept for a few minutes and then turned onto his other side, shuffled back a little against Magnus and closed his eyes, forcing himself to go back to sleep. Magnus put his arm around him, and within five minutes Alec was sound asleep.

At precisely 8am their alarm went off. Magnus sprung out of bed as normal, but Alec stayed curled up under the covers. No matter how much Magnus wanted Alec to talk to him about what was on his mind, he knew he couldn't wake him up. He just looked too cute when he was sleeping. Smiling, Magnus kissed Alec's cheek and then went to the kitchen, where Chairman Meow was waiting eagerly to be fed. After putting some food together for Chairman Meow, who had never so much as smelled cat food, Magnus went to see what programmes were on TV. He was rarely impressed by the type of shows he saw, but there was an occasional programme that he enjoyed. After about half an hour of flicking through boring programmes, Alec emerged from their bedroom. His hair messy and his shirt crumpled. A smile spread across Magnus' face.

"You look well rested." Magnus said, patting the spot on the couch beside him. Alec sat beside him and rubbed his eyes. "Now, what were you worrying about earlier?" Alec looked at him and sighed.

"Magnus I just woke up. Can it wait? Please?" Alec complained. Magnus knew he was trying to avoid the conversation.

"No, it can't. I want to know, and I want you to stop avoiding the question." Magnus said sternly. Alec looked down for a moment and then back up Magnus. He knew he'd have to tell him sooner or later, and he didn't want what happened the last time he didn't tell Magnus something, to happen again. Magnus raised his hand and involuntarily Alec flinched.

"I'm not going to do anything Alec. Not unless you tell me." Magnus then placed his hand on Alec's shoulder.

"I..." He started, not knowing how Magnus would react. "I want a child..." Alec looked at the tv screen, keeping his eye contact away from Magnus. After a few minutes of awkward silence between the two of them, Alec looked at Magnus who appeared deep in thought. "You don't want one. Do you?" Alec asked sadly.