Chapter 18: Car Ride

------------

------------

My mind was a jumbled mess. I was ruminating on everything that happened to me today. Helen's threats, that busty waitress, the guys that thought it was okay to put his hand on a woman. When he grabbed my wrist I didn't know how else to react. I didn't think just do. I promised myself I wouldn't let a man ever put his hands on me again without a fight and I intend on keeping that promise.

I leaned forward as much as the seat belt would let me and exhaled deeply. I couldn't stop my mind from recalling David's beatings. They would constantly start with a tight grasp on my wrist as he yanked me.

My screams echoed in my head. I was ashamed that after all this time it still haunted me. Everything he ever did to me was so fresh in my mind; from when he first started beating me to what he did a year ago when he has gotten so close to breaking me. 

I held my palms up to my eyes and slid it down my face until I passed my busted lip and hissed.

I jerked my hand back and realized I was still bleeding. "Shit" I mumbled to myself. Brandon quickly looked at me before looking back on the road.

He reached into the glove compartment and searched in their for something. His eyes were stuck on the road but occasionally would look at the compartment to see what he was doing. He pulled out a few napkins and handed them out to me. "Thanks" I whispered grabbing the tissues and dabbing my lip with it.

There was a moment of silence before Brandon shifted his eyes to the road and then me. "So what happened back there?"

I wiped my mouth a couple times and observed the blood on the napkin. Blood used to make me cringe but now I'm immune to the sight. "That jackass couldn't handle rejection well and got..a little handsy." I shrugged

Brandon clenched and unclenched the wheel. Brand new bruises were forming on his fist. I started to feel guilty about the whole situation, if I didn't lose concentration and let that jackass catch me off guard Brandon wouldn't have had to get involved; however, the look in Brandon's eyes told me different.

"Are you okay?" I asked still looking at his knuckles. He saw where I was looking and he quickly dismissed me "I'm fine... you should be asking his face that question."

"I could have handled it." I looked at the side of his face as I placed the tissue back on my lip.

"The way you were handing them their asses i'm pretty sure you could of but, I wouldn't just sit there and watch him hit you."

I didn't say anything to that; I didn't know what exactly to say. "But, I can't say I'm surprised that you put up a fight." I tilted my head "and why is that?"

"You don't peg me for the type of girl to run away from a fight." I averted my eyes away from him and looked at the road. If he only knew how much I actually do run away from my fights.

"So where did you learn how to fight like that?" he questioned. His eyes stayed pin to the road. I could've asked him the same thing. His punch was full of power and held no restraint. I couldn't forget the animistic look in his eyes when he pulled the guy off of me.

Brandon immediately pinned him to the floor pressing one of his knees into the crease of jackass's arm and the other foot pressed down onto his other hand. That move alone takes a lot of practice because you have to learn to use the right amount of force. If you use too much you can either break his arm or wrist and if you don't use enough force they would easily slip out of your hold.

"Was taught... Can't walk around not knowing how to defend myself." I said truthfully. I didn't have to go into detail on who taught me and the exact reason I know how to fight.

"And where did you learn how to fight?" I raised an eyebrow asking him the same question.I watched Brandon posture straighten- he cleared his throat "Self taught..Cant walk around not knowing how to defend myself." He hit me with the same line I fed him. A small smirk crawled onto my face as I shook my head "uhuh"

A comfortable silence grew over us before Brandon called my name "Alexis?"

I didn't shift my eyes from the window. "Mmhm"

"What happened with you and Helen? I saw the way you looked at her in the cafeteria." My body slightly tensed I didn't look at him. I observed the blurred images of the trees and houses as we passed by them. "Nothing really...You know the same old threats if I don't stay away from you." I lied.

Brandon groaned in annoyance "why did I even sleep with that girl?"

I shrugged my shoulders not really trying to get into a conversation about Brandon's sex life with Helen. "Beats me."

My mind wondered to what Helen told me. I kept thinking about her connections. I immediately thought about her parents. Maybe her parents are the connections she is referring to. "You know how you and Helen was a thing right?"

Brandon growled at me and I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing. "We weren't a thing." I rolled my eyes and continued "Anyways...What do her parents do...like you know for a living?"

My question took him by surprise. He squinted his eyes "her parents?"

I nodded my head hoping he knew. "umm..I think her mom is a therapist and her father is a secretary for the FBI or something like that."

My eyes shot open "Really?" he just nodded his head.

The FBI? That must be the connections she was talking about. My head started to pound with the upcoming stress of worrying about Helen; what she is going to do and what she can probably find out since her dad works at the FBI.

"Why?"

I nervously laughed "Have to know something about the person who wants to make my life hell."

"It's okay I'll protect you." he playfully nudged me. "Uhuh, I don't doubt that."

A few minutes later the car stopped and I was in front of my house. I looked at Brandon and awkwardly smiled at him. "Um, Thanks for the ride."

He gave me a weak smile "anytime."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door. I leaned forward when his hand gently touched my wrist. I swiveled around to look at him "are you sure you're okay?" He asked. The look in his eyes revealed that he wasn't convinced that I was okay.

I gave him a reassuring smile "Yes I'm fine Brandon and also Thank you for what you did back there." I told him softly my voice showing my appreciation.

"No need for the Thank you...I would gladly do it again." I searched his eyes and I can tell that he wasn't lying. I sent another smile his way and stepped out the car closing the door behind me.

"Oh yeah, Alexis," Brandon called out through the window of the car. I turned on my heel and raised an eyebrow. "Nice hoodie," he smirked looking at his hoodie. I honestly forgot I was wearing it. "I'll make sure to give it back to you."

He shook his head "No need you actually look good in it." he winked at me as I rolled my eyes but that didn't stop my lips from tugging up.

"Whatever" I remember my motorcycle and felt for my keys in my pocket. I pulled it out and walked back to the car. "Don't forget to bring back my baby."

"Of course, I'll make sure to come back." He flashed a huge smile at me and grabbed the keys from my hand. Before I could say anything he drove off. A giggle left my mouth as I started to walk back to the house.

----------------------

I KNOW THIS CHAPTER IS SHORT but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging this Friday. 

What did you guys think about this Chapter? 

Don't forget to click that star and vote.