Chapter 2: Something New

Song for this Chapter: Change by Christina Aguilera

We were on our way to Carol's house. When we landed I realized we were now in California. San Francisco California to be exact. I called Carol like she instructed and she told me her friend Levi will be the one driving us to her house.

Levi was holding up the sign that said 'maxway cab services'. He was a tall scrawny man with a five o'clock shadow on his face. He was wearing black jeans with a grey t shirt dressed casually. When he saw us walking to him his hard eyes softened. He looked down at Jalen and smiled. He shook my hand and told me to follow him.

We followed him to the car. When we stepped out the airport it was hot and humid. I know California is known to be warm but it being late September just meant it was extra hot.

There was a lot of traffic. We all sat in silence. Levi occasionally looking in the rear view mirror at us. Jalen had fallen asleep and I was looking out the window watching passing cars and approaching houses.

The houses here were big but so close together. Every house seem like only a foot or 2 separated them. We crossed over the famous Golden Gate Bridge and made our way to more houses.

"How much longer?" I finally spoke up and asked Levi. He glanced in the rear view mirror and took one hand and rubbed it through his short Chestnut colored hair. "About 10 minutes." His voice was raspy like he had a cold. Him trying to clear his throat confirmed that he was indeed sick.

I leaned back into my seat until the car had soon stopped later. I looked through the window and saw a big 2 story house. The house was a cream color and covered with windows. If they didn't have curtains over them we would see the whole inside. There were steps that lead you to the front door and next to the steps I saw the garage. It was attached to the house.

Seeing the garage reminded me of Uncle Tom. I shook my head getting rid of the thoughts for now because I knew they would eventually come back.

I turned towards Jalen and gently shook him awake. It wasn't hard for him to wake up and when he did he gasped. "Are we going to be staying there?" His face was full of shock and I didn't blame him.

The last house we were in was a small 2 story that was only meant to keep us hidden. This house in front of us was nice an actual home to Carol. I bit my lip and nodded my head slowly stepping out the car. As we stepped out the car the front door opened.

A petite woman stepped out the house. She was wearing grey jeans and a white tank top that hugged her small frame. She wrapped herself in her arms and walked down the steps.

The car door closing caught my attention. Levi was stepping out the car and walked towards the women. They embraced each other in a hug and turned back towards us.

Jalen and I walked to them. The woman gave us both a warm smile that remind me of my mother. I tried to give one back but it was forced.

This women had light brown hair that probably would be mistaken for red. Her eyes were blue just like Uncle Tom and my mother just her's was a shade darker. This must be Aunt Carol. Her eyes was slightly red like she have been crying.

She rubbed her narrow nose and sniffled. She stepped a little closer and hugged me and Jalen. I was surprised by the sudden gesture until I slowly patted her back awkwardly.

She leaned back and looked between me and Jalen. "I haven't seen you since you were a baby" she said to me while she rubbed my shoulder. I didn't say anything as I looked down at Jalen. Her eyes followed me and landed on him.