Prologue

Two years ago….

“Sweetheart how are you?” my uncle asked me the same question he been asking me for the last 6 months. “Im fine” I signed into the phone while i picked at the scab on my knee. “Alexis how are you?” he asked again. He knew I was lying. Uncle tom always knew when I was lying I didn't know how but he did.

I stopped picking at my scab and sat up leaning my head against my headboard. My throat tightened and water filled in my eyes “I miss her.” I whispered so low i didn't think he would've heard me. “ I do too Alexis.” There was a moment of silence while i swam in my thoughts.

I missed her so much.  “I didn't even get to say goodbye.” a sob broke out my mouth.

My mom died 6 months ago in a car accident.

It was raining extremely hard that day but she was called into an emergency meeting at work. She worked in a law firm. We were suppose to stay in and have a girls day when she got the call. I was so upset. “I will be back in 2 hours tops.” my mom told me grabbing her keys off the coffee table. “You always choose work before your family.. I thought today was only going to be us girls...you're always at work” I huffed crossing my arms over my chest. Jalen was at a sleepover and David was probably at some bar like he is every night. “Honey-” she signed and kissed my temple. I can see that my words hurt her i can see the guilt of leaving in her eyes ‘I will be back in two hours and we can do whatever you want promise.” I didn't reply I just flopped down on the couch grabbing the remote to the tv.  She kissed me again on the forehead and walked out the house.

That was the first promise my mother ever broke. She didn't come back in those 2 hours. She was never coming back.

Later that day David came home drunk like he always do and stomped off to his room ignoring me like he does everyday. That's when i got the call.

My mom had died. The weather was bad and a truck slammed right into the side of her car. She was dead in the matter of seconds. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I didn't get to tell her I love her. She died thinking I hated her and that is what broke me even more.

“Alexis dont cry sweetheart..everything will get better.” Uncle tom tried to calm me down but he sound like he was holding back tears of his own. He loved his sister. “Your name is Alexis Sanders and us Sanders can handle anything.” I heard him trying to reassure me.

The only thing is I don't think everything will be getting better anytime soon.

After my mother died David drank more than usual. David is my step father. My father bailed on Jalen and I after Jalen was born. My mother remarried.

Me and David never had a father daughter relationship at all. He just ignored Jalen and I like we did not exist and I didn't really care because I did the same.

When my mother died he started yelling at Jalen and I about any little thing we did. He would come home drunk and angry. At first he would just stomp off into their room but, then one day he came home livid and he took his frustration out on me. It only started out with a smack but, as weeks went on it got worse. He would punch me until i was almost unconscious. He will kick me so hard i would hear the crack in my ribs. Whenever i did break a bone David would have a guy come to the house to bandage me up. I never went to the hospital.

I always took the beatings because I didn't want him to go find Jalen and take his frustrations out on him. Jalen is only 5 and I don't want him going through this.

I never told the police or my uncle. David always said “tell anybody and i'm killing Jalen” that was enough for me to know to stay quiet.

“Alexis” my name being called yanked me out of my thoughts. I just remembered i was still on the phone.  ‘Yeah..uh yeah i'm still here.”