"Robin, please, do not make this more difficult than it already is!" I told him frustrated.

"But you do not love him!" He shouted as it caused me to hesitate.

"He has qualities!" I protested loudly as he raised an eyebrow amused.

"What qualities?!" He shouted back as I'm pretty sure we've awoken my father and the rest of the household.

"I believe his feelings for me are genuine. He has wealth and security—" I tried to assure myself only to be interrupted.

"What do you mean, wealth?! You’re supposed to be the Nightwatchman. You should steal from Gisborne and give to the poor, not acquire wealth yourself!" He shouted at me as I glared.

"Do not tell me what I should be doing, please." I snapped as I slap the post to make my point.

"Robin!" I heard my father shout out as Robin gently grabbed me and held me so I would look at him however I refused to.

"Look at me. Look at me….I will deal with this!" He promised in a loving tone as I watched his eyes and first before I ripped myself out of his grip and started to run towards the house.

"Robin. Can’t you see that you’re upsetting Esme?" I heard my father snap at him before I slammed the door to my bedroom and curled up on my bed. As the day grew longer I hated knowing that Robin was right, there was no way for me to escape my marriage from Guy. I calmed my breathing when I heard steps on the stairs and knew my father would knock on the door.

"Esme?" He called from behind the door as I opened the door to allow him in.

"I must leave for Merton. Will you be all right?" He asked worried for me as I gave a small smile and nodded.

"You have some scheme?" I asked him, nervous that one day he would get himself into deep trouble for all his scheming.

"The Sheriff has a scheme. I think he intends to kill the King in Nottingham. He cannot risk losing the shire. I must act. Merton is loyal to me and to the King. He will help." He told me as I stared at the floor. I must admit it hurt that my father put the King first, but then I had always respected his loyalty to the crown.

"And my marriage... I must go through with it. A man must... protect his king. A man must fight for his king." I spoke slowly as I saw my father's face fall and he hugged me tightly. I blinked quickly to prevent the tears coming as he sighed.

"If I could protect you and the King, I would." He muttered sadly as I smiled knowingly.

"I know. Anyway, I have a plan of my own." I chuckled as he frowned.

"What? The Nightwatchman?" He asked me curiously.

"One final fling, something to make me feel more comfortable in my marriage." I decided as placed his hands on my shoulders.

"You are my world, you know that." He told me as I smiled. It was nice to hear him say that to me every once in a while.

"I am marrying a man I do not love. There are worse things in heaven and earth. And I am glad... and proud... that you are my father. My wonderful, honorable father." I told him truthfully as he nudges my cheek and leaves. After I watched him leave I happily stayed in my window watching the day away before I turned and take off Guy's ring and put it under a candle on a stand. I hated to admit that I had grown use to having the ring on my finger, as I admired its beauty before sighing and staring into the antechamber where my costume is waiting, then steps inside and stares at it.

I took my time getting dressed, pulling my hair back and slipping on the mask as the night fell. Keeping my candle lit in my room I snuck out from the window and slowly made my way towards Locksley Manor.

Sneaking past a guard’s back at the tunnel was rather simply until my shoes squeaked causing him to turn around making me immediately punching him out. I do three cartwheels past the front door, kicking and knocking out a guard in the doorway during the second. I quickly rush back to him and set him down gently inside the door to avoid the noise of him falling.

I slowly glanced around the room and sneak through the main hall and quietly peer into the back room where Guy is sitting and his men are sleeping over tables. Smirking I sneak upstairs and open the master’s chamber door. Throwing open the curtains of the alcove, I reach the first chest and open it to see all the gold as I set my shoulder bag in front of it and starts filling the bag with coins.

"Sir Guy! The Nightwatchman!" I heard one of his men shout out as I quickly look up, my breath caught in my throat as I run to the door and pull the bar down, to keep Guy out and trapping myself in as well. I heard a slam against the door as I knew Guy would be trying to ram down the door with his shoulder as I gulped and went to grab my bag.

"Open up. There’s no escape…Get me an axe. You two, outside." He shouted out as I kept my back against the door to prevent him from breaking it down. Gulping I ran towards the windows ready to jump out only to see two guards holding torches ready to spot me as I gulped. I was stuck, man was this a stupid idea. But if Guy kills me then I won't have to marry him. Pay attention Esme! This is serious! I heard the sound of an axe against the door causing me to gasp and turn around.

The thuds of the axe against the wood came again another three more times as a narrow piece of wood splinters off and clatters to the floor making my heart rate pick up. I could feel the pounding of my heart in my ears as I saw Guy try and reach through with his hand but luckily he couldn’t get to the bar. He peered inside at me as I refused to drop my eye sight from him. I was trapped like an animal. A caged animal ready for slaughter. He swings the axe again, then peers in again.

"Time to play, Nightwatchman." He growled fiercely causing me to shudder in fear.

"Mind if join in?" I heard Robin shout from below making me take a breath of relief. Oh how Robin I love you! Thank you! I bet he had come by the house to chat to me, I would have apologized for being so stubborn with him, but I think I will need to be begging my brother for forgiveness after tonight, if we both make it out alive.

"Locksley! Have you heard the news? I’m to marry Esme." I could hear Guy boast as I slowly opened the door with the bag over my shoulder. I could see that Robin was furious with Guy's torment as Guy watched me closely as he slowly took another step down the stairs.

"I will think about you when I take her to the marriage bed." He chuckled darkly as I growled, sick! I suddenly drive a kick into his stomach, knocking him down the stairs. I quickly follows him down and Robin lowers his bow, watching. When I get to the bottom, Gisborne reaches up and punches me in the stomach causing me to groan, drop the bag and stagger sideways. I watched as Robin lets loose his temper, rushes over and violently kicks Gisborne in the face as I lean on a post for support. Robin grabs me and quickly helps me to the door.

"Get the money!" He shouted as guided me outside as I winced at the sudden need to run.

"Split up! Twos and threes! You know where to meet!" Robin instructed as Robin and I scatter through the village. I glanced behind me to see Will with Allan around the manor to their left, Little John with Much and Djaq around the house to their right. I kept my eyes focused on in front as I continued to run with Robin holding me up as we went.

*************

Gisborne turns his hand over to reveal a small curved dagger which was concealed in his hand. Blood drips down the blade and through his fingers. He holds it up in front of his face.

"Gotcha!" he sneered evilly……