Swanqueen- Not so cliche

Word Count: 1202
Labels/warnings: i couldn't think of a conflict so it's more of s setup than a story but have some weak lesbian fluff

Since the creation of the American high school, there has been one pairing destined to dominate the school. One duo that never failed in defeating all others for homecoming royalty. One relationship that won cutest couple for senior superlatives. Two teens that ruled the school.
The football player and the cheerleader.
The one entirely inescapable cliche found at nearly every high school. Story Brook high was no exception to the rule. However, the romance of Story Brook's yearbook reminiscent tales was not as cliche as you might expect.

"Emma, you ready? We need to be in the field in, like, 3 minutes!"
"Yeah, I'll be out in a second!"
Emma tried her cleats, picked up her helmet and jogged out to the warm up field. The game wasn't for another half hour but the stands were already filling up. Tonight was the homecoming game so every student with nothing better to do in a Friday was there and some, if only for the chili cheese fries that the dance team was selling. Even the awkward tennis kids and the nerds with anxiety disorders sat on the cold bleachers preparing to randomly yell as the game played out and people they didn't know were crowned as homecoming royalty.
"Lets go Ravens! 15 more and you're done!" Regina yelled at the girls, and impressive number of boys, doing burpees in their cheer sweats. She had been elected as captain of the varsity cheer team senior year, which came as no surprise to the members of the squad that had seen her ambition and dedication over the last four years.
"Okay! We're done! But there's only 20 minutes till game time so please be quick at the snack bar!"
On the smaller patch of grass behind the snack bar, where teens hid out during PE so they wouldn't have to run laps, the football team was warming up.
"Two more lines, then go put on your gear guys!" David, the varsity team captain, yelled at his team as they quickly navigated down the row of tires, carefully lifting the feet to not trip in the rims.
"Go, go, go! Almost done! Robin! August! Pick up the pace! Swans about to pass you guys up!"
Inside the snack bar, Belle manned the register while Jefferson and Ruby cooked and served, although Ruby really spent more time flirting with the transfer girl from Kansas, and really and cheerleader that came by than actually assisting.
Ruby leaned down to the window to pass Tinker her fries, throwing a wink as she did so. Before she could fluster another flyer with her obvious innuendos, the loud speaker came on.
"Testing... test.. is it on? Okay.
Good evening StoryBrooke high! Are we ready for the homecoming game tonight! Okay!"
"Whoever let Mrs Blue run the announcements should be fired," Ruby mumbled under her breath.
"Remember to come support your dance team at the snack bar and go Ravens!"
A loud roar of excitement followed as the cheer team flooded the track in front of the stands in their spandex and long sleeve crop tops. The cheering grew louder as Tinker completed 8 different flips across the track in one motion. One distinctive "Damn, babe, get it!" was heard over all the others as Aurora and Mulan filmed their friend on instagram.
         The night was well underway with a mediocre game of football providing anything from entertainment to background noise for the various students wrapped in blankets in the stands. Eventually, the moment most of the crowd had came out for arrived- the crowning of homecoming royalty.
Halftime was called and the cheer team lined up center field. A slightly obnoxious remix of hit songs from 4 years previous remastered with a loud baseline played as the team began their performance. Mildly impressive lifts and flips were performed across the field as friends cheered with obnoxious sincerity after each jump.
Meanwhile, the quarterback was pulled aside by coach to talk strategy on her way to watch the routine. Nodding politely and listening with as much attention as she could muster, Swan glanced back and forth between the routine being performed and her coach. After a knowing smile, Emma was released to watch the last few seconds of cheers. But just as she started toward the field, Emma felt herself being spun around and dragged away.
"The cars are already lining up, Emma! I've been looking all over for you!"
     Emma hopped into her place sitting on the backrest of the rear row in the rented convertible, slightly sweaty and with messy hair. She glanced around, skimming the row of rentals for the cheer captain. A black ponytail bounced into view, pushing a smile onto Emma's face. Regi caught the starting eyes and perked up; she jogged past her own seat in a vaguely impressive Chevy and pushed herself up into the back of Emma's ride.
"Hey." Emma pressed a quick kiss into her girlfriends check.
"Ew," she pulled back in mock disgust. "You're sweaty."
"Dáme." She pointed to Emma hair tie around her wrist. Emma rolled it off and handed it to the demanding girl beside her who expertly wrapped the blonde mess into a suitable bun, then Regina pulled out a towel she knew she would need to wipe down her girlfriends face.
"Thanks Regi." Emma smiled. "You're the best."
"Of course. Where would you be with out me?" Regina laughed and Emma joined pulling their heads together for one more quick kiss as David strolled over to his seat beside Emma. Regina smiled and hopped off the car winking as she said "Good luck." Before heading back to her own spot where Jefferson awaited.
      "Alright students! The moment we have been waiting for, it's time to crown our homecoming royalty!"
A excited roar of applause and whistles filled the stadium. Junior class royalty were announced with impassioned cheers from friends off field. Then seniors.
"This years Homecoming King and Queen are," Principle Blue opens the blank Envelope. "Oh well, I, I suppose I should say this years Homecoming Queens are Emma Swan and Regina Mills!"
The two girls stepped forward to receive their plastic crowns; no one but them surprised by the results. A camera flashed as the two shared a quick kiss on the platform, certainly a moment that would make into the year boom.
Everyone knows the Quarterback and the cheer captain are unstoppable.
• • •
Loud music filled the sparkly decorated gym. Emma was changed into a sleek black dress after scoring a winning touchdown that fit perfectly with Reginas red and black wardrobe. Heels were abandoned an hour ago and the black of the congratulations from classmates were over.
"Hey Regi," Emma called over the loud music. "You ready to get out of here?"
Her girlfriend stood off to the side of the gym, too exhausted to dance anymore.
"Depends on where we're headed," she replied with an exaggerated lip bite paired with a raise of her eyebrows.
"You know my parents are out of town for the weekend," Regi continued.
Emma laughed and wrapped her arm around the flirt, but Storybroke be damed if they didn't speed off in Regina's convertible blasting the stereo after that.