Destiel- Car wash

Okay I actually really like this one and I spent way too long on it
Word count: 3748
Labels/warnings: mentions of homophobia, little bit cringe, lowkey pinning, sorry for the end in advance (set roughly in 1989)
In the US, there is an unfortunate trend in which high schools prioritize one thing above all else: sports. More specifically, football. Kansas was no exception to the rule.
        Every school in Matbel county, Kansas had a football team, and a good one at that. And every year, one Matbel school team competed in the CIF state championship, a streak that started in 1972. And every year, that one Matbel team came out victorious. This year WestOaks High won the chance to send their team to represent Matbel at CIF, hopefully making this the 15th year of the Matbel streak. WestOaks team captain and star quarterback, Dean Winchester, trained hard with his team mates to make sure they would secure the win this year. The school also helped out the team by spending almost the entire sports and arts budget on reseeding the field and buying the entire football team new uniforms and equipment. This was great for the WestOaks Red Hawks (Go Hawks!) and Dean made sure that the team made good use of the gifts.
        Unfortunately, not everyone at WestOaks was a football fanatic. The WestOaks soccer team, for example, had a rather unfavorable view of the football team after they were denied uniforms of the JV and Sophfres teams. Thanks to the football team, soccer was left sorely underfunded, which really pissed off the Varsity team captain, Castiel Novak. 
          He thought about going along with the basketball team and tennis team captains, Jo and Garth, to yell at the football captain, but he knew it wouldn't end well. You see, Castiel had had a crush on Dean Winchester since middle school, which only grew through high school. Anyway, Castiel decide against joining the other team captains, partly because he knew yelling wouldn't magically make funds appear, but mostly because he was scared of doing something stupid in front of Dean. Instead, he organized a car wash to raise money to buy the uniforms themselves.
       And that brings us to Friday at 7:50 am, where Castiel sat in his home room class as the cringey morning ASB video announcements played.
       "Good morning red hawks. Please stand for the pledge of allegiance. Ready, begin. I pledge..." Cas tuned out the video and focused his attention in the paper in front of him. He splurged on metallic gel pens at the beginning of the year, which he now used to decorate the dead space on every assignment given to him. Currently he was drawing bubbles with flowers inside them along the edge of his chemistry lab notes.
    "... the school soccer team is having a car wash after school so pleas make sure to spot-er-stop by and support your feel- fellow Red Hawks! That's all for today's announcements. Have a good day!"
     The class began packing up while the teacher yelled at them not to pack up yet (every second it's a learning opportunity!) Castiel carefully packed away his pens. The shrill chime of the bell signaled the end of class, allowing the students to make a swift escape from their teacher who was yelling about the project due next Friday (don't wait till the last minute!)
        The rest of the day was a blur of boring classes and clueless subs. Cas bounced his leg impatiently waiting for the bell to ring, signaling the end of 5th period. Just 3 more minutes before he could go to the car wash in the student lot. Castiel technically had a 6th period class, American Economics, but since most of the people with cars at the school we're seniors with early dismissal, the soccer team was allowed to ditch 6th to work their car wash.
        Castiel practically threw himself out of the classroom when the bell sounded. He jogged to the locker room and changed into his old undershirt and swim shorts, then grabbed the stack of buckets and sponges to bring with him to the parking lot.
"Hey Kev!" Cas called out as he skipped over to the ez-up that held his team mates underneath it. They had picked a perfect day for the car wash. It was sunny outside and nearly 90 degrees, part of the reason why Castiel was so excited to work the car wash. Mostly he was just excited to be able to skip class.
     "Hey Cas! You're just in time for our first customer!" Kevin bro-hugged Cas and gestured to Balthazar's silver Mercedes pulling up. Balth was Castiel's CoCaptain, as well as incredibly obnoxious yet some how lovable cousin.
     "Hello Cassie!" He honked as he sped up to the car wash, braking hard at the last second, all the while blasting 867-5309. Castiel held back a smile as he faked annoyance. "Only paying customers, airhead."
     "Well lucky for you hosers, yesterday was payday." Balthazar stepped on the parking brake and hoped over the side of his soft top and threw his keys at Kevin, who easily caught them.
    "$5 here you go, Cassie," he shoved the bill into the collar of Cas's shirt. "Keep the change." He flicked off his denim jacket, tossing it in the back seat. "Well? Get to it then," he ordered and threw a wet sponge at Cas; a terrible mistake that was realized as a bucket of cold water was poured over him.
       Balthazar grabbed a wet rag from the bucket and spun it around itself, preparing to attack his opponent with the improvised whip. Castiel grabbed a soaking sponge, ready to squeezed the contents out over his cousins head. They circled around each other like dogs in an underground fight.
       "Uh, hey guys." Dean Winchester stood awkwardly beside the strange scene. They had been too engrossed in their water war to notice the 1967 glossy black Chevrolet Impala pull up behind Balth's car.
"Oh uh.. hi Dean. You here for the car wash?" Cas tried to be cool.
Dean smirked. "Well there's not much else going on out here, Cas."
Cas laughed awkwardly. "Yeah I, uh, guess so..." he trailed off, staring at the gorgeous man in front of him. How did Dean even know his name?
Kevin snorted. "It's $5, even for the schools star athlete."
Cas elbowed Kevin to shut him up. Dean pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and handed a five over to Kevin. "Thanks man."
By then some of the juniors and sophomores from the team had walked over, ready to help with the car wash.
"Okay then let's get washing guys," Cas called out to his team mates. They split up and started working on the two cars. Dean stood arms crossed, leaning against the e-z-up in the shade it provided. He found himself biting his bottom lip as he watched the soccer team captain scrubbing down his baby, his white shirt completely drenched and sticking to him.
"Ya know," Balth popped up behind Dean making him jump, "you can get a better view from inside the car."
"Fuck off." Dean usually would have had more to say, but he wasn't in the mood to fight today. Instead he turned to walk back in to campus. He got about 4 feet away before he turned back around.
"Hey Cas!" Cas turned around just in time to see a set of keys flying toward him, hitting him square in the chest. He scrambled to catch them and did so just before they touched the ground.
"Not one scratch," Dean threatened with a smirk on his lips. Castiel flicked his gaze up and met Dean's just in time to catch the wink thrown his way as Dean turned to go find his brother.
       Half an hour and 4 cars later, Slenderman's and Repunzel's love child skipped towards Castiels brother, Gabriel.
       "Hey, Sammy!" Gab patted Sam on the back.
       "Woah! I thought only I could call you that Samantha!" Dean teased as he approached the scene.
       "It's Sam, jerk."
         Dean laughed. "Whatever, bitch."
He scanned the parking lot for his baby, who was sitting in the shade, waiting for his return and looking glossy as ever. Dean looked back to the car wash for Castiel who hopefully still had his keys. A white T-shirt sticking to ever curve of a muscular torso caused Dean to temporarily forget how to breathe. A pair of bright blue eyes locked with his own green set and a dopey smile grew on both faces. Cas walked over to Dean not breaking eye contact.
       "Um, here's your keys." Cas handed the keys to Dean, standing closer to dean than strictly necessary, still refusing to break eye contact.
       "Thanks." Dean smiled wider, if that was even possible. The two stood there for a second, stupidly smiling at each other, until Deans eyes gravitated down to admire Castiels obvious 4 pack. Cas cleared his throat, not knowing what else to do.
      "Oh, um, I guess I'd better be, uh, going then," Dean stuttered out. Cas nodded awkwardly and steeped aside for Dean to walk past him.
      "Oh hey," Dean paused, contemplating whether or not to go through with his plan, but quickly decided in favor, "I'll probably be back later with my uncles car, if that's okay?"
      Cas smiles again, making Deans heart skip a beat. "Yeah, I'll be here."
     "Okay!" Dean started backing up. "I'll see you then." He turned away and yelled for Sam over his shoulder.
      Cas smiled at the Impala as it pulled away, leaving a perfect opportunity for him to be hit in the face with a sponge.
       "No more day dreaming Cassie! We got work to do!"
.
.