Episode 86: Regrets

I opened my eyes and found myself in my room

I opened my eyes and found myself in my room. Yuko was asleep, her head against the edge of my bed. What had happened? Was it all a dream?

The door suddenly opened. It was my ma. In her hands was a bowl with herbs.

"Ma," I said.

She smiled as soon as she saw me, but there was something off about it. There was what appeared to be pain behind it.

"Seems my little boy is finally up!" she said as she put the bowl on top of the book case. "I was afraid that you would be out for another day."

I gasped. "Another day?"

"Yeah, you've been out for over twenty-four hours. You missed the third day of the training camp entirely. It's morning now. Your father said that he'll be taking you five to someplace special while the rest will head to Xian in the magical universe."

I stood up slowly as to not alarm the sleeping Yuko. "Wait, what happened to the battle?"

She lowered her head. "You technically won."

"Did... did Eiichi turn into a demon? Or was I dreaming it?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Nori, Takuya, Lady Saya, and I put some additional seals on him. However, he has to be careful not to be separated from Carlos. It's what keeps his demon side at bay."

I stared at her arms and noticed what appeared to be scratched marks on her left arm. They looked as if they had been made by a dragon. She pulled her arm back and hid it behind her back as she continued to avoid looking at me in the eye.

I gasped. "Ma... Those scratches, d-did I... did I... Was I the one who..."

She turned around. "Don't worry about it, Tetsu! They're just scratches! Nothing a month worth of putting ointment on them won't cure."

"A month?" Then they were deeper than the part I had seen. I sniffed. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

"M-master?" Yuko said, opening her eyes. "Why is Master crying?"

"I'm an awful person, that's why! I hurt my own mom in my rage!" I screamed.

Yuko lowered her head.

"Tetsu, don't blame yourself!"

"It is my fault though! I allowed my anger to get the best of me again! It's just like with that kid, the one lying on the ground back in the capital, bloodied. I-I couldn't control my power." My eyes grew wide. "I... I might've killed him. Ha. To think that I had to audacity to call Eiji a murderer, when I myself might be one."

"Master," Yuko said.

"Tetsu, get a hold of yaself!" Ma yelled.

I looked up at her. "I did it again, didn't I? I... keep letting my emotions get the best of me. Ma, why... why do emotions do this? Why are they so confusing? Why do they cloud one's judgement? Why do they lead one astray?"