Mary's Plan

"How's your trip back home?" Maryanne asked as I entered her study room. It was the same but a bit different with the stacks of paper and books around her.

"It was great. I really enjoyed myself there. Miss them so much." I answered cheerfully.

"That's good. Everyone needs their family." She said while her head was stuck

"Especially at a time like this." She added and the words suspended in the air around me. My heart stopped and I was holding onto my breath.

My body froze by itself.

She looked up at me with knowing eyes.

"Are you okay?" She asked worriedly and I nodded. Acting as if there was no reason to be afraid.

She doesn't know. She's just referring to something else. My mind reassured me.

"I'm fine." I breathed out with a faint smile.

"What do you mean by at a time like this?" I carefully asked as my hands brushed through the soft spine of every book on the shelves while my eyes glanced back to back from the titles to her.

My mind unable to read any of what was written.

"I was referring to you." She paused and I could feel her eyes on me. Watching my every movement. Listening to every breath I take. Knowing what's in my mind.

"You've just became a warrior. You don't have any family here and that can be a really major obstacle to being a warrior. Being a warrior is hard work and sometimes you need their presence to bring back the spirit in you." She explained and I unconsciously breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Yeah." Was the only thing I was able to let out. The panic in my mind had just passed and I couldn't think of a way to reply to that.

"And you're still in high school. Tough place especially when you're transferring to a new school. New people, new environment." She said.

"I have Max with me. I'll be fine." I told her.

"I'm sure. You're something else. Different - unique." She smiled.

"Thanks." I said and took a book with me as I sat down on the memorable sofa.

"How's your work going?" I asked about the writing she needs to do. The story of the past, Alpha Christopher and his true, actually mate.

"It's a difficult when someone you actually need isn't here or the someone here doesn't want to answer anything." She answered.

"But that doesn't stop me. I was there when it happen so I know what happened." She smiled gleefully like she had just won a lottery.

"And that's why you're here." I said and she nodded.

"And that's why I'm here to collect and keep safe of the history." She laughed.

"That sounds boring." She laughed out.

"To some people." I told her.

"Indeed. Only to some people, the majority but not all." She smiled.

"When are you going to finish it? Because I can't wait to read it." I told her excitedly as if history was just some fairy tale.

"Soon." She replied.

"But it's not going to be all cupcakes and rainbows." She added.

"I know." I replied quickly. I know too very well.

"I'm just really curious about what really happen. Why was Alpha Chris so hell bent to not let it out?" I told her as I reread the book on my thigh.