1. My Demon

Hr was tasked with removing the warlock from the shadowhunters' company. And he had the perfect idea as to how.

They let the demon loose on a mad mundane near the institute and caused enough havoc to get one of their attention. He knew how to get demons to do his bidding. Now, he has to prove himself to Valentine.

Alec was sent over to do a general swipe of the area for a demon activity.  They couldn't risk any incident thie close to the institute.

It was time for possession. It was late night. Alec did not have his wards up. The shapeshifter demon turned into a bat swished by Alec touching him.

The shifter took Alec's identity but when he walked over to Magus' place, qn unbearably loud screech pieced the air and the turned into a crow and flew away before the warlock could find him.

Time for some recon. He visited Magnus' favourite bar and took the shape of a girl who was leaving. The demon strutter in straight for Magnus and slurred all over him. The concealment charm given by Valentine was working. Magnud excused himself and dumped the girl on a nearby table.

When he returned, the girl was replaced by Alec or rather, the demon Alec.

"To what do I own this pleasure?" Magnus slid besidr his supposef boyfriend.

"I was passing by." Alec said in a clipped tone.

"What happened?" Magnus asked touching Alec's arm slightly.

"Nothing." Alec shrugged him off and started to leave.

"Alec." Magnus held the demon Alec tightly. The demon was scared that the warlock may use his magic and so he turned around.

"I thought I'd see you here but clearly you didn't need me."

"What are you talking about?" Magnus sounded genuinely confused.

"Don't fool me Magnus." Demon Alec spit the name.

"I knew, I'd eventually die. You and your life will move on without me. You must have done it countless times now. Moved on. Must be your second nature. I just didn't think it would be this soon."

It dawned on Magnus what the misunderstanding was.

"Alec.."

"Don't. Don't play me." The words stung Magnus.

"Alec." His voice quivered.

"Let's break up." The demon said the final words looking straight at Magnus. The warlock's heart sank and  his knees webt weak.

"It's a misunderstanding." His voice quivered.

"It is not about the mundane. It is about us. You will live many more centuries and I may die, who knows, maybe tomorrow. And even if I do live, what about 30-40 years from now? You can move on and so can I. It will be easier like this."

The demon could feel the charm wearing off and Magnus felt it.

"Alec wait. There is a demon here." The demon didn't let Magnus touch him.

"I can take care of myself." Saying, it rushed out. Magnus followed but the demon flew to the institute as soon as it found open sky.

Getting into the institute was easy. All it had to do was impersonify a dead body lying at the Institute door. As soon as the camera caught the dead body and the sirens went blasing. The institute was alerted and thr body was brought to the morgue. Finding the first window of opportunity, the femon changed into Magnus.

The real Magnus on the other hand felt the absence of demon presence and left without bothering to ponder and think. He wae heartbroken. He knew this wasn't about some mundane girl but it was about them. It was the truth they had refused to acknowledge. It felt like Magnus' world collapsed around him. His heart ached as if a stone was present there. He tried not to cry. Alec was right afterall. But Magnus also felt angry because Alec hadn't given him a chance to explain. He gave Magnus no say in this. Magnus gritted his teeth and bundled up in a ball on his couch.

Alec was standing at his room door surprised and happy to see his Magnus. No matter for what reason Magnus was in the institute, Alec just felt happy to see him. But Magnus did not seem himself today. A serious, rather strict expression dawned his face. As if a bad news was coming.

"What is it Magnus?" Alec asked, concern setteling in his heart. Demon Magnus didn't say anything but looked at Alec.

"You are scaring me. Say something." Alec tried to force a smile through his heavy heart.

"Let's breakup." Magnus said with straight face looking at Alec. For a few moment, Alec just stared back.

Checking the security footage, Izzy called on Magnus to help with the shapeshifter demon.

Hr immediately tried to make a portal but his magic faltered. Magnus felt broken.

"Give me some time." He said into his phone.

"You can have a one on one with Alec later. Just come over. This is serious. The demon is inside the institute."

"I am not with Alec." Magnus said.

"I just saw you walking over to his roo..." Both realised, what just happened.

Izzy disconnected the call and rushed to her brother's room. The thought of demon reaching Alec terrified Magnus and he opened a portal landing on the institute footsteps. He rushed in and rushed straight to Alec's room but half a dozen shadowhunters surrounded him.

"Sorry. I am in a hurry." Saying Magnus swipped them off their feet and rushed to Alec's room. Izzy and Magnus reached the room just in time to see the demon Magnus standing besides a crouched Alec screaming.

"You can never be enough. What did you think? Your little weak heart and naivity are what I hate the most. Calling on me for every tiny problem of yours, clinging..."

But the demon couldn't finish, Magnus chocked him. Alec looked up in surprise.

"No one talks to my Alec like that. No one." Magnus was dangerously close to loosing his temper and unleashing his full power. His eyes flashed yellow and started to glow. A loud and unsteady sob brought him back.

Evrrything clicked back in place. Alec had never broken up with him in the first place. Izzy immediately hit the demon who fainted and Magnus rushed besides his boyfriend. A shapeshifter fed on a person's fear and insecuities.

He hugged his boyfriend who scooted away from Magnus. Magnus' heart clenched. He didn't know, his strong boyfriend could get so broken. Alec looked between the real and fake Magnus. He wanted to hug his boyfriend but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

Sighing, Magnus got up. "Let's take care of him first."