Chapter 5

Cedar quietly stood a few steps behind the Crown Prince who was busy in a mountain of paperwork.

“Hmmm… so this prince isn’t actually that bad.” Gale noted in her mind as she sneakily glanced at him from time to time.

As she thought about it, a cold breeze blew from the open window. To her surprise, a figure emerged from the shadows at the utmost corner of the room. “Wow! A real-life ninja! So cool!”

It was a black-cladded guy who’s face was partly covered with cloth. In the darkness, his upturned eyes and golden optics seems to glow, in contrast to his long dark hair. If Cedar’s memory was right, this ponytail guy is Konoki. A member of the King’s shadow army and His Majesty’s messenger.

When Konoki walked towards the Prince, his gaze turned to the Knight’s direction. It was only for a moment but Cedar felt a chill creeping up his spine as if a venomous snake was probing at him. Still, although he was having a cold sweat, he still managed to keep his deadpan face.

The changes in Cedar and Konoki’s expressions were only on a minuscule scale. But Alexander did not miss it. 

The corners of his lips subtly raised as an unknown emotion glinted in his eyes.

“Your Highness…” Konoki bowed before the prince and placed a scroll on the table. “Here’s the list that you’ve requested.”

Without a word, Prince Alexander picked it up. He then read its contents with a nonchalant look on his face.

“Are there any more noble households under suspicion aside from the names listed in here?” He asked after a while.

“There’s one more. They were highly suspected to be the main instigator of the rebellion. They are supporting the second Prince’s faction in secret.” Konoki answered. “However, there wasn’t any evidence that would lead to them. Every traces were neatly taken care of.”

“Hoh~” He exclaimed with an amused look on his face. “And who might that be?” Alexander then propped his chin on his palm with an indifferent look.

“It was the Nightingales. Specifically, Ignis and Kravis Nightingale, my Lord.”

“What do you think?” Alexander turned to Cedar who went a bit stiff upon hearing his brothers’ names.

“It was just like them.” He clenched his fist as Ignis’ twisted smile flashed through his head. “Especially Ignis. He definitely didn’t want any loose ends after what happened twelve years ago. He must have killed the persons involved with him or he has the means to threaten them into silence.”

“Tsk… Hide and seek is it?” Alexander mumbled as he touched the parchment with the tip of his index finger. He set it on fire, and the list turned into ashes in a split second.

Watching this, Gale was astonished. Although she knew from Cedar’s memory that this Casanova prince can be amazing at some point, she was still awestruck upon witnessing his magic in person. 

“Wow! The special effects used in Hollywood couldn’t even compare to the real thing!” Gale exclaimed inwardly. Her grip on the sword tightened as she suppressed her urge to clap and smile like an idiot.

Somehow, Alexander felt the mood change of his knight so he glanced up on Cedar’s position.

The knight's face was still in serious mode yet his eyes were sparkling like a child in some sort of festival.

“Pft!” 

Cedar flinched when a suppressed laugh escaped from Alexander’s lips.

“Wha-- Your Highness?” Oblivious to his facial expression, Cedar was bewildered.