Chapter 4

After calming herself, Gale regained her composure. She stood still a few steps away from the Crown Prince’s chamber to guard, as what the original host would do.

Half an hour later, the door creaked as it revealed Alexander’s figure.

Gale became speechless for a moment. The frivolous lecher prince had turned into an honorable royalty in such a short span of time.

The purple cloth gilded with the golden phoenix emblem of the Yv empire looks exquisite. But she knew that it wasn't an effect gained from wearing the glorious imperial clothes. 

The Crown Prince’s demeanor also changed. Somehow, an air of royalty and elegance emanated from him.

Alexander’s gaze met Gale’s. Well, technically, it was Cedar's. The prince's eyes flashed an unknown emotion and his lips subtly raised as he walked past his knight.

Cedar placed his right hand atop his chest near the heart, giving a light bow. Then he followed the Prince’s footsteps along with the palace’s attendants.

“Cedar…” While walking beside him, the butler in charge of the Prince called.

It was Roki Steinheim. He was in his late 40’s but still looked young, with a muscular built and a scar over his left eye, extending to his jaw. Truth be told, his image was more fitted for a frontline warrior than a butler.

“I heard that Viscount Ignis is at the palace.” He said.

Hearing that name, Cedar’s body trembled on its own. Frozen on the spot he’s standing in, his heart thumped hard.

“W-what the heck?” Gale was surprised as well. Because she had Cedar’s memories, all his thoughts, experiences, and feelings were like her own. That’s why, when she heard the name of Cedar’s eldest brother, the anger within almost burst out. 

Gale couldn’t help but be angry as well. It was because of Cedar's memories. The poor kid got bullied within the Nightingale household. 

Whenever the General was on the battlefield, they would torment him. And it wasn’t only verbal abuse but they also hurt him physically. Making the young Cedar a timid and fearful child.

Also, Ignis gave him a trauma that caused his body to freeze every time he hears something about his brother.

The events that took place twelve years ago was still fresh as if it happened yesterday.

When General Wolfe died, Cedar got abducted by a group of bandits.

Back then, Cedar was eighth and Ignis was 17.

When the young Cedar saw that his eldest brother came, he thought that he’s going to be saved. After all, they were half-brothers.

However, his hopes crumbled down when Ignis mocked him.

“What? You expect me to save you?” Ignis held Cedar’s chin up with the tip of his enclosed sword. “Why would I save a garbage like you when I was the one who wants you dead?” His eldest brother sneered at him.

Then, with a bright smile, Ignis unsheathed his weapon, pointing it to the young boy’s neck.

“No! Brother… why?” Cedar’s voice broke in extreme fright and tears began to flow. 

“Because you’re an eyesore?” Ignis replied nonchalantly. He ever so slightly traced his sword from the neck down to Cedar's shoulders. Blood trailed the sword’s tip and the boy gritted his teeth in pain.