chapter 02. fourth floor

I awkwardly looked back and forth between Aleah and her fiance, Harry. They haven't spoken a single word since they sat down to eat Harry's delicious pasta. Aleah silently chewed, her eyes on the plate, while Harry kept looking up every other second, perhaps wishing they could share eye contact. The silence was killing me, so I had to break it.

"This is really good, Harry," I spoke up with a smile.

Harry hesitantly looked away from Aleah and sent me a cold look, "Thank you. I learned how to make this last year."

"Oh, nice, who'd you learn it from?" I asked him, hoping I could keep the conversation alive.

"I learned it from this chef I worked with during one of my projects," he answered back as his eyes drifted away from me and landed on Aleah.

"Projects?"

"Oh, I must've forgotten, Harry's an artist," Aleah finally spoke up.

"That's cool," I said as I slowly bobbed my head.

After another silence went past, Aleah stood up from her chair and walked towards the sink, where she gently placed her plate and fork down. Harry followed after her, chasing right behind her. He looked like a love-struck puppy following after his owner. And here I was, alone again.

I strolled around the mansion, giving myself a house tour. There was a giant living room, a gym, a bar, a kitchen, and a TV room on the first floor. I ran up the staircase, feeling the soft carpet underneath my bare foot. On the second floor, there were about eight rooms. The third floor, there was a giant library. That was the least interesting place, since I hate reading, but it was still cool to see. Like the first floor, there were art pieces plastered on the other two floors. Lastly, there was the fourth floor.

The fourth floor was creepy. It was lightly dimmed and the long hallway was mysterious. As I slowly walked down the hallway, I realized it was empty. But once I got to the end of the hallway, I met a door.

My hands wrapped around the round door knob and twisted it. I started to push the door, only to have a large hand swallow up mine and pull me back, closing the door with a loud bang.

I snapped my head around and met the intense eyes of Harry. I couldn't tell if he was angry or if the darkness of the hallway made his green eyes become more eerie. Once he let go of my hand, I immediately got my hands off of the door knob.

"Should you really be snooping around, little girl?" he asked with a scowl, his tall body towering over mine.

"You left me no choice, I was dying of boredom, y'know?" I sassed back as I crossed my arms, rose my left brow, and smirked like a bratty five-year-old. "This is my new house, Harry."

"Stay away from this door," he growled as he got closer to me.

Me, being the most difficult girl to ever live, didn't back off and took a step closer. He smelled like a manly mix of smoke and the woods.

"Is this your natural personality, or did Aleah stick a dildo up your ass for fun time?" I asked, trying to look all innocent.

"Leave," he said through gritted teeth.

"Whatever," I muttered out as I walked away from him.