Chapter 20: In death comes hope.

I arrive at the hospital and check in to Eli's room

I arrive at the hospital and check in to Eli's room. "You can go in now." the doctor says, with a small smile, I nod gratefully and walk into the room. I tip-toe inside and sit on the edge of his bed. He's alive! thank god! he looks so peaceful as he lies there, asleep. 

I wake him up with a lingering kiss on the lips, his eyes flicker open, smiling sleepily. He grabs my waist and pulls me on top of him, "Hey cookie." he croaks, huskily. God I love guys voices in the mornings. "Hey potato." I joke, smiling. He kisses me on the cheek, making me blush. I get off of him, he groans. "How are you feeling?" I ask, he smiles weakly holding a thumbs up. "Well, I just got shot and my cookie came to visit me so i'm feeling great." He adds sarcastically. If he wasn't in the hospital i'd punch his arm. "Only you Eli Hughes." I sigh, we both laugh. 

"Well, before I blacked out you said that you'd marry me if I stayed alive. Well, here I am." He smiles, I blush remembering what I said. "I do." I smile, kissing his forehead. "Well, if you don't mind, lets wait a few years.  I know how much you value your education. I respect that." He nods, I smile. "Mum would've loved you." I mumble, "So would dad." I look down in despair, both of my parents are dead. Eli pulls me into his chest. "It's okay cookie, i'm here for you. No matter what." He caresses my cheek, pulling the hair out of my face. 

***

Black clothes, black shoes, black umbrella's to match today's mood. I bring a bouquet of flowers, red and pink roses, mum's favorite. 

Surprisingly, I didn't cry. I used all my tears up on that day, I said my speech for her. Smiling to myself,  mum would be proud. I think about the fact that she won't see Alyssa, Jordan or me grow up. She won't see our wedding's or her grandchildren...

"You did good cookie." Eli strokes my back, calming me down. Before they bury the body, I walk up to the casket, we are burying her next to dad. I kneel down and kiss the casket, "I love you mum, I will see you someday. I know i'll see you in my children's eyes, in my friends smiles and in myself. God will be thankful to have you back, i'll miss you. Bless us, bless Alyssa who is so young, I'll take care of her. I promise, I won't let you down." I whisper, a single salty-tear, sliding down my cheek. I finally stand up and walk next to Eli, Amy, Kevin, Ravan, Aaron, Zoe, Jordan and Alyssa. All wearing black, to match their sorrowful faces.

We watch the grave digger bury mum's casket in an eerie silence. A somewhat peaceful silence, I haven't had peace and quiet for a long time. I felt a sense of peace course through my body, at last I found peace in both my parent's deaths. I have finally accepted their fates, though unfair that they didn't live longer. I know they are up there, watching over us, smiling. 

We finally head off to the after party, deciding that mum and dad would want us to enjoy ourselves and make their deaths something to never forget, they wouldn't want to go down like that.