Chapter 11: You look perfect.

RECAP; Jane is starting to really reconnect with her childhood friend, Aaron. Eli confuses her with his indecisive remarks. Amy has been hanging out with her and chatting endlessly about all her expectations of the Silver Ball, but when her definition of perfection is only in front of a mirror, she is troubled. Kevin is very confused with his sexuality, he doesn't know why he's acting so unusual towards Amy and tries his best to be there for her in the kindest way he can. Retail therapy. 

And that's what you missed on RIVERDALE!

...

Chapter 11: You Look Perfect

"I see you now have fangirls chasing you everywhere." I snort, he looks at me and back at the girls who have been tailing him since we arrived.

"It's my first day at Saint A's, I'm just fresh meat." he chuckles in response, adjusting his bag apprehensively. I grin excitedly, it's his first day at school and I'm acting giddier than he is. 

"Don't worry, I'll be here every step of the way." I check my watch, the class will start in nine minutes. We've got time since we share classes I'll have a buddy and he'll get used to the new place easier. Win-win situation, right?

"Want to meet the others?" I offer, he nods and we make our way to the main hall, Amy said they would be in at the main gardens this morning, it's only a short walk so we'll have time to chat, get back to the lockers and head to homeroom in time. I calculate the time carefully, Aaron will make a good impression on the teachers, I'll make sure of that. I'm just a little worried about-

"Oh-My-Living." there's a pause, the booming voice comes just as we are about to enter the garden. We both paused, turning around and walking onto the lawn. 

"Aaron!?" a feminine shriek announces, both our heads whip around to see the commotion. To cut a long story short, it's Zoe. And she's heading right for us, running as fast as her little heels can take her without tripping. She jumps into the arms of Aaron, embracing him tightly. He seems stunned and glances back at me, I just shrug. 

What can you do when Zoe hugs you? I disassociate myself with the image in my head of throwing a few punches at her pretty little face, I know I've got to be mature and introduce him to everyone; good, bad and horrible. 

"I take you two know each other?" I assume, walking towards the pair. As I get closer I notice how similar they look, their features are sharp and flattering, both tall and slender. However, Zoe, who did originally have the same shade of icy platinum blonde as Aaron, dyed it a bright honey blonde to match her bronzy skin tone. 

Aaron is looking at me with so many things to say, but obviously it's not the time to say anything judging by the expression on Zoe's face. She drops to Aaron's side, turning to me with a look that could kill, really.

"Yeah Jane, he's my cousin," she says smiling innocently. I should stay calm and act normal, he doesn't know the extent of our relationship just yet, I don't want for him to get the wrong impression on me. So I just smile politely and chuckle, 

"Of course! I should've known, you look so alike." I smile warmly at Aaron, avoiding eye contact with her. She smiles coyly, turning to Aaron and whispering something into his ear.

The people around us are whispering silly assumptions like; "Couple goals" "Whose the hottie?" someone then makes a rather snarky and extremely loud comment; "Jane is such an idiot to think that a guy like that would ever like her." I just stare forward, no need to make a scene, less of a scene, less of a reason to make fun of you. I think to myself, taking deep and cleansing breaths.  

 I feel my face heating up as I listen to the girl's conversation, "Look at her though, she sticks out like a sore thumb." I can hear the others murmur in agreement, my hands clench with sweat. 

"Such a pity, she must be running errands for the school, pathetic." one chuckles, another pipe up, "Well I don't blame her-" she pauses, there's silence.

"That will be the only way to get anywhere near a hot guy way out of her league." the girls explode into a fit of giggles. I can feel my composure melting, turning into pure and reddened anger. 

Before I can even assess what's going on, I turn around and spot the group of giggling girls, I shout at the top of my lungs. "Well, FYI ladies, His name is Aaron and he been my best friend since childhood I would never ever ever I mean never try to get into a guys pants through the school system I honestly don't know how you would even think-" I go on and on, but before I make a complete and utter idiot out of myself I feel a hand clasping my upper arm, I turn to see Eli. 

I look down at my arm and then up at him, he's staring at me blankly. What the actual-

 "-uh Zoe's my cousin; we aren't a couple." Aaron finishes, making eye contact with the audience staring back at him. I look at him and we exchange comforting smiles, he then glances at Eli, confused, I look at him to explain that I'm ok. He nods reluctantly and turns to Zoe.

As I assess the damage I've done with my big mouth, the fish-eyed crowd gawks at my sudden snap, I never do this type of thing. And this type of thing will never happen again, unless I want to draw more attention, causing more rumors and inevitably, a public shame session. 

I pull my arm away from Eli's grasp, however, he's holding onto me firmly. I furrow my brows in frustration, if I don't leave now I won't be able to get to class early enough to help Aaron. 

"Look, can you just let go?" I ask, looking up at him. His expression is amusing, he grins at me tugging at my arm slightly. This confuses me as the last encounter we had was when I rejected him. 

I guess he bounces back fast. 

"C'mon Jane, follow me." he pulls on my arm, I follow; what else could I do?

 I realize where he's taking me, once I catch a glimpse of Amy and Kevin Eli lets go of me. 

"Jane!" Zoe grins, hugging me. Not even a second later she pulls me away from her, staring at me intensely. 

"Explain, how did you do it?" She demands, gazing at me expectedly. I gulp, I look at Kevin and the others, eyes waiting for a reply. 

"I don't know," I sigh, shoulders slumping. "I just thought-" before I can explain my explosion the group bursts into applause, I stare, confused. 

"Because you're amazing!" they say in chorus, I choke back tears as I smile brightly. Amy turns around and takes something out of her bag, a pamphlet of some sort, she hands it to me. 

"We don't know how you did it, but we're so proud you're coming out of your shell." She explains I scan the pamphlet. The first thing I notice is my face, smiling widely, it's my school picture from last year. I cringe and continue to read, my name is big and bold a the top of the page. I read the description aloud;

"Jane Smith. I'm intelligent, funny, witty and will do anything for my friends. I care for our school, volunteering my time to help wherever I can. And if you will vote for me for Silver Ball princess, I assure you I will uphold the town's motto of peace, love, and fellowship our ancestors instilled into us from generation to generation." I can barely breathe, I stare at the paper in my hands, shaky and bumfuzzled. 

"Vote Jane Smith for Silver Ball Princess," I repeat, looking up at the others, they grin and nod in support. I glance back at the paper, then at them. 

"I'm curious," Kevin begins, "How did you get in when the school y'know- lowkey hates you," he states in the nicest tone possible. I try to breathe and compose myself, 

"I would tell you," I say carefully, looking straight at the wide-eyed Eli, 

"But I didn't do this,"

END OF CHAPTER