Chapter 3: Anne Hathaway

Jane's POV

...

I sprint to class, panicked and utterly flustered. I rush to my seat, bored eyes staring at me as I take my seat.

"Now, If you all did last night's homework you'd know that William Shakespeare got married at age 18: Who can tell me who he got married to?" Ms. Hudda-Ribsome asks the silent class, they all avoid eye contact, write in their books; careful not to get picked. No need for that, however, I'm here to save the day!

"Ms!" I ask, raising my hand, flapping it around like there's no tomorrow. "Yes Jane, I know you know the answer. You always do: I'd like someone else to give me the answer." She explains, exasperated- think German accent broad and fluent.

There's an awkward, tense pause.

"Did anybody even do the homework?" She asks the class, nobody replies, but their silence speaks loud and clear.

"I know miss." an American accent replies, I turn my head to see an absolutely stunning brunette: Her long wavy hair is in a loose, voluminous ponytail and her smile is sweet and genuine: She must be new.

"Oh, you must be new? I forgot to introduce you-" Ms. Hudda-Ribsome looks distracted, scrambling to get her laptop, nearly falling on her chair, she scrunches her face in concentration.

As she does, I hear a snigger. Two students are in silent hysterics, I glance to see what's so funny, looking in the direction of their points- Ms. Hudda-Ribsome is making the weirdest facial expressions as she tries to type on the computer, she scrunches her face; even picking her nose at times.

"It was Anne Hathaway right?" one girl suggests.

"Well, I thought she was an actor? Wait; she's a time traveler?" another girl gasps in realization, thinking she's the smartest person in the room with this discovery.

I manage to hold in my laughter, by biting my tongue and thinking of Ms. Hudda-Ribsome in a bikini, there we go.

But, In no time at all, the whole class has been notified and half of them are turning purple, never daring to even breathe to disrupt her... session. Even I, the most serious person you'll ever meet is about to crack. This doesn't last long, however- I need to stop this.

I raise my hand, everyone's eyes turn to follow my movement, as I am about to speak a few students are about to pounce at me, some are sending me silent glares. "Ms," I call out, in spite of everyone's opinion. She flinches, looking up at me with a grimace mixed to a wide smile. "Skitzo I tell you." I hear someone whisper, Ms. Hudda-Ribsome's eyes avert to that particular student, I turn to see who it is- The new girl.

"Excuse me! What did you say!?" Ms. Hudda-Ribsome booms, standing up. Her wrinkly eyes are wide and bloodshot behind her pink-framed glasses. "Just because you are new it doesn't mean I can't- punish you!?" Ms. Hudda-Ribsome is at a loss of words, her hand gestures could whack a bitch, but nonetheless, the new girl is calm and keeps a serious look.

This all may seem utterly stupid, it is-but stick yourself in social isolation for 13 years, 6 hours a day, plus homework after that for another 3 hours, You'd find anything funny.

"I apologize- Ms. Hudda? Was it?" she smiles sweetly, I gape at her- ready for Ms to scream like the orangutan she is. "By the way, I love your glasses, they match the shade of your blouse. Where did you get it?" She smiles sweetly.

Ms. Hudda-Ribsome looks like she got hit by a bus and felt honored- That bus was this new girl. When Ms. Hudda-Ribsome finally gets her paperwork and laptop together she raises her head slightly and clears her throat. "That's very sweet Ms. Connors, now- would you like to come to the front of the class to be introduced?" and just like that, her orangutang-self has vanished, leaving the sweet old Ms. Hudda-Ribsome.