Chapter 1: I hate my life

"Wake up Jane! it's time for school!"

My mom squawks from the kitchen, I hear the sputter of the kettle, the sweet smell of coffee and a light aroma of breakfast. Groaning in realization, I have school, I punch the wall in frustration.

I know that you are thinking: 'oh shh child your life is not that bad'; well, I hate to break it to you, it is.

My name is Jane Smith. I'm a tired teenage girl whose dream is to be thicc. The usual 'geeky-not-so-secretly-sassy-nerd', you see them all over Tumblr but see zero in real life.

I hop- wait let me rephrase, Crawl out of bed and make my way down to the kitchen. Tripping overshoes, bags, and more in the pure darkness that is 5 am. My mom is ready with fried eggs and rice.

"Jane, go get ready, you look like you just crawled out of a hole," my mother passively yells.

"But it's so dark!" I exclaim, one thing's for sure. I'm hungry as hell.

"Don't give me any crap, get ready if you want to graduate." she smiles, she only smiles when she's extremely mad. I should run, I think.

After I take 3 portions of fried rice and green tea, shoving it into my mouth like my life depended on it, I have a food fetus and I'm satisfied. When mum cooks you've got to eat it all because the troll could come down like the ogre he is and eat it all before-

"I SMELL FRIED RICE! MOVE PEOPLE, I'M COMING, HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!" Jordan, my brother booms as he stomps down in his tattered uniform. I roll my eyes, how can a fourteen year old be so enthusiastic this early?

"Shut up Jordan, you'll wake up the neighbors, you know how they get!" Mum half whispers half booms, screaming like they're up in the mountains is not going to work.

"I DON'T CARE. I'M UP EVERYONE SO YOU BETTER WAKE UP, I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL EVERYONE!" he marches around and claps his hands together, as if in a band.

"I'm leaving this freak show." I stand up, leaving my plate on the table, "Hey! Put that in the sink!" Mum especially hates it when we leave our rubbish everywhere.

Dragging my feet along the floor to my room, my walk of shame makes the mood even worse for what's to come.

When I open my closet, I throw on my uniform: a pleated skirt, blouse, tie and a sweater, socks, and shoes. With a growl, I make my way to the mirror to brush my hair. Now that I look presentable, I grab my backpack and run out the door.

"I'm going, mom!" I yell from the front door.

I walk out to the bus stop and plug my headphones in, to avoid friendship. This is the hard part, whoever thought that putting 80+ teenagers on a moving vehicle with a driver incapable of handling our utter stupidity and drama.

The bus is a nightmare of crazy teens throwing paper, kissing, texting, talking and running around the bus like idiots, wait...They are idiots.

I ignore the stares I get from old friends, classmates, and people I used to know, way too busy looking for a free seat far away from her.

If your wondering who Her is, well she's Zoe. My old best friend back in middle school. Keyword old.

Well, after her parents divorced and she got a boyfriend, she changed her attitude towards me. Started going a little crazy, some days talking to me I'm her best friend and other days ignoring me fully. Using our friends for her own personal gain, and just overall being downright immature. It was hard because within a day she turned all my friends against me, and now, the whole school uses me as an easy target to take all their anger and emotion on.

I love my life, Note the sarcasm guys.

But it's too late, she spots me and stares me down, "Hey Jane, I didn't realize you were still alive, you look as if you crawled out of a grave, have you heard of make-up? I'm pretty sure it was made for people like you so us other naturally gorgeous people's eyes don't have to suffer," Zoe states in her as-a-matter-of-factually tone, which she always uses on me. This, people, is how to make anybody's Monday worse.

"No, a girl like her doesn't deserve anything, she can't even afford decent clothes. I mean, look at her!" Parker Dunn, Zoe's boyfriend; captain of the football team, player, womanizer and my old crush.

Where did it all go wrong?

The bus stops and everyone walks off. Me? I wait for everyone to leave so I can walk off without getting tripped.

I walk to my locker and dump all my books into it and take out my current read and run to my heaven, sanctuary, and safe zone.

The library, cue angels singing and heaven's gates opening.

...

After a very successful reading session, I close my book and walk to my locker to get my lunch, some leftover noodles from the night before- I find Zoe, standing there with her boyfriend, Parker along with their posse.

Well, round two, here we go. I really regret saying anything this morning; I can never have a good day, can I?

"Hey, Jane! you stole something of mine and I'm here to get it back." Zoe half-smiles, I shiver immediately allowing myself to look vulnerable in front of these tyrants.

"If you're looking for a real personality, then I have no idea where you can get one," I say in my rehearsed calm and collected tone. A bitter taste forms in the pit of my throat.

"Don't play dumb! I know you have my iPhone, now hand it over or things will get messy." Zoe flicks her fingers and people appear on all sides, grabbing their phones. I hold back a chuckle, what does she thinks will result in this?

They expect a showdown, they won't get one.

"Again, I have no idea what you're talking about!" I half scream.

Zoe flicks her fingers again and some guys from the football team grab my arms, the adrenaline kicks in. Every time this happens, my reaction does not change. I need to leave, every fibre in my being tell me to kick, scream for a teacher-

Zoe walks forward, her stare could cut through ice, she gets her hand ready to slap me-

The world blurs for a moment as I waver on my wobbling feet, the loud cheers of the crowd are deafening, all I can really hear is her.

The taunts and the treachery, the sweat beading off my face, mixed with tears. I try so hard to stay strong, what's going on?

"Let her go."

Then that voice pulls me away from the footballers.

I've never seen this guy in my life.

END OF CHAPTER.