Chapter 9: Dance practice

Chapter 9: Dance Practice

"Wait, Am I missing something?" I furrow my brow, looking at the couple, then at my own parents who enter the front hall.

"You don't remember, do you?" The boy speaks up, I turn to face him. Taking a good look at his face, Do I remember him?

"Wait..." I step back, holding my hand up. He gazes at me, waiting for me to answer. I stand there, speechless. There's no way...

"...Aaron?" I finally pinpoint it, he sighs in relief. "Oh Thank God, I was thinking that our friendship was more memorable to me than you-" he starts to ramble but before he does, I pull him into a tight embrace. He hugs me back and we stay like this for a little while.

"Well, this is awkward.." I hear Jordan point out, "I'm going to sit down."

"When you two are ready, dinner will be ready!" Mum calls out, I hear everyone make their way to the dining room. I take a step back, looking up at Aaron, is it really him? The Aaron from primary school? Back?

"You left me!" I slap him in the arms, he cowers. I continuously hit him as he crouches,

"Okay okay, Jane! I'm sorry-oof" I pull him into another hug, tighter and safer. Aaron chuckles, patting my head.

"We can chat more after dinner?" he offers, I nod, grinning.

When we enter the dining room, everyone is already seated. Two chairs are left for us to sit, Aaron takes the chair next to his mum and I take the chair next to Jordan.

The table is flowing with yummy food, mum's famous spring rolls, Ronald's t-bone and potato salad. And I'm guessing the couple brought some roast chicken for the table.

"Okay, shall we dig in?" Ronald invites us to take our plates, Mum holds out her hand. "Prayer first."

We all nod in agreeance, I take Jordan's hand and my Ronald's hand, bowing my head, my mum begins the prayer.

"Thank you lord for the gift of togetherness, thank you for the food you bestow to us. Thank you for the Derik family's presence this evening- Please bless our food."

"Amen." We all say in unison, as I let go of Ronald and Jordan's hand, I take my portions for dinner.

We begin to eat in silence, the awkwardness at the table went from 1 to 10000 really quick.

"Right Aaron, let's hear a little bit about you. Tell us about yourself." My mum smiles warmly.

"Well I just moved back to Australia from a long 9 years of schooling in Switzerland, I am going to attend St Agatha's Academy and I have a friend who schools there too." he smiles at everyone, looking at me.

"You're still talking to Zoe Derik? I heard you are friends with her, she talks about you a lot." He turns to face me, smiling nervously.

Both of our parents start their own conversation about politics and inflation, so it's just Jordan, Aaron and I.

I chuckle nervously, "No, I'm not associated with her. I haven't since-"

"Second grade? I remember you mentioning that in a letter you wrote me." he offers, I nod curiously.

"You still remember those?" I raise a brow, Jordan's eyes widen as we look at each other.

"Man, you've got some good memories if you remember that. Or you had your own nostalgia sesh before arriving here." Jordan chuckles, taking out his phone.

Aaron laughs, "U-uh, maybe." I smile awkwardly, dumbfounded with the events of today. One moment I have no friends, and all of a sudden. Friends are spewing out of my ears.