Chapter 7

Chapter 7 ~ Charcoal road

Looking around at the fire that is still around us, slowly creeping towards us. More leaves have fallen from our tree giving the fire more fuel to burn. I do what I can but shooting water from your hands is harder than it may seem. One minute of doing that is just as hard as running one hundred meters for me. I'm not the most fit person on the planet so I get tired from that, and shooting water from my hands. I have to keep going. I ket my one hand rest as I try to wet the blaze surrounding us. Another ember as blown in the wind onto our tree which I put out quickly. There seems to be no stop to the flames. Skye is working to keep the smoke away which is just as hard.

Finally I have ten meters around us clear and we sigh. The sky has gone dark but with all this fire it seems as bright as day.

"We have to sleep." Says Skye.

"But there's a fire around us." I reply.

"I know, I know. We need a way to stop this all." She says as I look at the sky. If only it would rain. Rain enough for all the fire to die out. As if on cue a cloud starts pouring. Sure we get wet but that's better than being out on fire. We just watch as the flames disappear. The rain stops as soon as the fire stops and I wonder if I did that. I doubt it knowing how limited my powers are.

Now the only problem is that it's cold, really cold.

"We will just have to sleep without heat." Says Skye as we climb down and set up our blankets. The snow has melted so we won't be sleeping on soft ground tonight. I wonder what we will do in the morning.

Morning comes and I yawn to see Skye awake and busy watching the town.

"Morning." I say, giving her a fright.

"Huh! Oh, morning. We have to go quickly." She says. I see she has already packed her bag. I start rolling mine up.

"What do you mean?"

"The Metal kingdom came back over the night. They are back in Stream for some reason. It didn't look like all of them went, maybe half. Most of them must be in Fire. Almost everyone in Frost has evacuated. I'm not sure why they returned but knowing them, they will be coming this way fast." Is all she says as I finish packing my bag and sling it on my back.

"Which way then? Each side has the Metal kingdom." I ask her and she thinks.

"I don't know, my cousin Fira in fire would let us stay with her for a while. She lives on the left of the town so maybe we could cross the barrier and head left, away from the army." I nod in agreement and we get up and start walking fast. The forest shouldn't be very thick, but after last nights fire it looks terrible. There's ash everywhere and everything is dark. It looks all to much like a horror movie to me. The barrier is easy to see after a few minutes of walking, since it's a light grey colour compared to the charcoal black of the forest.