54. Cold Encounters

Start from the beginning

That is actually the sweetest message I've ever received. I've seen his handwriting before and know it's normally messier, and it touches my heart that he seemed to have made an effort in writing this. I also smile at his attempt at drawing a heart. A very terrible heart, but a heart nonetheless.

I hold the piece of paper up to my nose briefly and his scene still remains.

Two days. Just two days and I'll see him.

I call up the local doctor's office to book in an appointment and thankfully there is an opening in an hour's time for my regular doctor. I quickly shower and throw on a white boyfriend style shirt, with a pair of tan shorts and white wedges. I braid the side of my hair and wear my hair in a messy ponytail, and lightly do my make up with natural tones.

I rush down the stairs and run into Dad in the kitchen as I grab a yoghurt smoothie from the refrigerator.

"You look nice kiddo, where are you off to?" he asks me.

Oh you know, just heading off to the doctors so I can have future unprotected sex with Harry.

"Um, I'm just heading off to meet a friend for coffee," I say, conveniently leaving out my doctor's appointment.

"Well have fun, and don't be home too late – your mother has a special dinner prepared for tonight," he informs me.

"Sounds good," I say, kissing him on the cheek before rushing out the door.

                                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I arrive ten minutes prior, and am asked to take a seat in the waiting area until my appointment. My phone beeps with a message from Max,

"Hey, I'm thinking Top Paddock in Richmond in about an hour? Coffee there is brilliant."

He could not have picked a better place to go. It is one of my favourite breakfast spots, and I'm suddenly aware of how very hungry I've become.

"Sure thing, see you then."

My name is called, and I walk into the clean office and admire the photographs of his family that I have seen countless times over the years of coming here.

"Dr. Robson," I say, shaking his hand.

"Ava, how are you dear? Well I hope?"

"Yes – fine thank you. I'm actually here to get a prescription for the pill," I mutter quickly. Even though he's a doctor, it's quite awkward telling your doctor you need the pill, considering he used to give me lollipops and tell me how brave I was.

"Oh, right. I need to ask a few questions first," to which I nod.

"Do you smoke?"

"No."

"Diabetes?"

"No."

"Didn't think so – any known allergies?"

"No."

"Are you sexually active?"

Cringe.

"Yes."

"Okay, I'm going to put you on a fairly standard type. I'll write up the prescription now. Have you been having unprotected sex?" he asks while scrawling his signature on the prescription sheet.

"Once," I admit. "But I took the morning after pill, and he was recently tested" I quickly add.

"Did you feel any different after taking it?"