Chapter 40

***2 years ago***

"I'm not going on a blind date." I tell Rebecca as we walk through the hallway of the gym. We're supposed to be picking up Scott to take him out to dinner, but I'm just now finding out that it won't be just the three of us.

"It's not a blind date." She explains. "He's a friend of mine from college. He's in town for business, and I told him he could come out with us tonight."

"On a blind date."

"It's not a blind date." She repeats. "It's a casual hangout with friends...and the chance of you two hitting it off."

I scoff and shake my head. I was right this whole time. It's a blind date.

Suddenly, Rebecca stops walking. She turns to face me before speaking. "Look, Bella. I know that this past year has been horrible for you. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. But I know that he wouldn't want you to be sad forever."

She doesn't have to use vague pronouns. I know she's talking about Harry. And she's right. He wouldn't want this for me. As hard as it's going to be, I know that he would want me to move on.

"If you don't feel comfortable with this, I can call Tyler and cancel—"

"No, Rebecca, don't worry about it." I interrupt her with a wave of my hand. "I know you're just trying to help me, and I really appreciate it. I'm sure it'll be great."

***

"So, where are we going?" I ask Tyler as we drive down the road.

"I told you, it's a surprise." He responds with a smirk, keeping his eyes on the road in front of him.

***flashback***

I frown, walking back out into the hallway and checking the whole apartment just to be sure that I didn't miss him. Just as I'm about to text him to see where he is, the front door opens, and he walks inside.

"Hey—"

"Come with me." He interrupts me, leaving me unable to read his mood.

Before I can ask any questions, he turns back around and heads for the door. I frown, quickly grabbing my purse and following behind him. I'm not sure where he's been or where we're going, so I keep a quick pace with him down to the street where his car is parked. It's still running.

"Harry, what's going on?" I ask, once we're driving down the road.

"I'm taking you somewhere." He answers vaguely.

"Where?"

"It's a surprise."

***

"Bella?" Tyler's voice snaps me back to reality, and I whip my neck around to look at him.

"What?"

"I asked if you're hungry." He repeats the question that I didn't even hear him ask. I was too caught up in the memories that I was hoping I left in my office.

"Um...yeah, a little bit." I shrug.

"Are you okay?" He asks, picking up on my mood right away. He's pretty good at that by now.

"Yes." I nod as strongly as I can before looking out the window. "I'm fine."

***flashback***

"Harry, I said I'm fine." I respond firmly, setting the glass down on the table.

"You know, I hate the word fine." He tells me, standing to his feet and running his fingers through his hair in frustration. "I hate it because it's just a front. Nobody says that they're fine and truly means it."