Chapter 1

HARRY

I feel my forehead crease into a frown as I concentrate on the task before me, my fingers fumbling with the streamers. I don't know why she gave me this task. I'm just going to fuck it up, and she's just going to yell at me...again.

"What the hell are you doing? I said to alternate the colors."

Told you.

"This is why I said that I should handle the ice." I groan, letting the roll of streamers fall the floor. That pisses her off even more as she bends down to pick it up.

"You can't have everything your way." Jessica reminds me in annoyance. "I told you that whoever went to pick up the ice would also be on Bella duty...which for some unknown reason, you were super against."

"I have my reasons." I mumble quietly, hitting my head on one of the low hanging streamers that I already put up as I walk over to plop down on the couch.

"Are you ever gonna tell me what those reasons are?" She raises an eyebrow. God, I forgot how nosy she was. I ponder her question while she picks up where I left off with the streamers.

"I don't wanna smother her." I admit with a sigh. "I've decided that I'm gonna give her some space...especially now."

I hear Jessica scoff in amusement, which causes me to roll my eyes. I'm sure her reaction is because she doesn't believe me when I say that I want to give Bella space. The truth is that I don't believe me either, but I'm trying to do the right thing.

"Look, I'm not gonna tell you things if you're gonna judge them."

"I'm sorry." She sighs. "I just figured you'd be a little more excited that she's coming home today."

She's right. I should be excited, and I am. Deep down, I am. But on the surface, I'm in a daze. It's still surreal to me to think that Bella's coming home from the hospital today. Three weeks ago, I would have sold my soul to hear those words. Three weeks ago, I would have settled with hearing Bella's voice.

Now, I'm sitting in her living room, preparing her 'welcome home' party, doing whatever I can to erase those horrendous memories of three weeks ago. But I can't.

***3 weeks ago***

"Sir, you can't be here."

"You need to take a step back, son."

"Can someone escort this gentlemen away from here?"

Their voices mean nothing to me. Nothing means anything to me, right now. That's why I left my Range Rover running with the car door hanging wide open on the side of the road. That's why I'm charging through the mass of uniformed people to find her.

Nothing means anything to me...except her.

"Where is she?" My voice bellows in a way that's almost unrecognizable.

"Sir, you need to calm down." An older woman says, placing her hands on my shoulders. I'm quick to shove her off as my feet keep moving.

The lights are flashing, and sirens wail in the distance, indicating that more help is on the way. But that's not enough reassurance. I need to see her. I need her to be okay.

My pulse quickens as I get closer to the car. I ignore the shouts of people telling me to stop as I come around the corner to the driver's side. The car door has been completely ripped off, and the entire windshield is shattered. The airbag is deployed, but she's not there.

"Where is she?" I yell louder, turning back to the people hurrying around behind me.

When no one answers, my eyes move over to the ambulance that I already walked past. I see the paramedics hoist a body up into the back, and my feet move before my brain can process. I get there just in enough time to see her motionless fragile body strapped to the stretcher with a brace secured around her neck.