“Nothing.”

Her eyes snap open and she sits up, eyebrow arched as she studies my face. “Spill Li.”

I laugh. She has a very take no prisoners attitude and it catches me off guard each time.

“You actually confirmed to me that Sophia was cheating on me.” Confusion takes over her features.

“How? I didn’t know her before a few days ago.” She questions.

“You knew James… Hunter. He told you about her.” I probably should stop talking. I know I should stop talking based on the look coming over Aubri’s face.

She glances towards her book shelf and looks back at me, her eyes slightly shiny.

Smooth Payno.

She slides out of the bed, ignoring me asking her to stay and crosses the room to the book shelf. I’m instantly out of the bed as her shoulders heave as she traces the marble notebooks sitting on the ledge of the shelf. Wrapping my arms around her, I soothe her as I apologize for reading her private thoughts and pain.

Harry warned me.

“I just wanted to be able to protect you better. Harry told me not to. I’m so stupid. I’m sorry. Please stop crying.” I turn her to me and she sobs into my chest. Her curls are coming out of her bun so I tuck them behind her hair and hook my finger under her chin, but she won’t look at me.

“I’m broken.” She whispers and I think I can feel my heart stab itself.

“I’m broken and you read it. You read my brokenness.” Her body shakes.

“You’re not broken. You’re perfect. Please stop crying.” I’m trying my best to wipe the tears falling from her eyes but how do you stop an ocean from flowing.

Slowly sliding us down to the ground, I capture her in my arms and rock her as she cries, clinging to my hoodie like it’s the only thing keeping her from sliding under into whatever her demons want to drag her back to.

I won’t let her go back there.

“Shh, you’re fine. I got you. I’m here.” I soothe.

Her body stops shaking and she sits silently, the tear marks leaving white streaks on her face, her eyes red rimmed and lashes matted together by the tears. Her eyes appear lighter, the prominent red veins a reminder of something I never want to happen to her with me around ever again.

“Why do you want a broken doll?”

She can’t be serious.

“You’re not a broken doll. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. You just don’t have to be strong by yourself anymore. I’m here. I have us.”

-

“If you’re struggling with your dress, I can help you zip it up.” I call to the closed bathroom door.

“I got it,” Aubri’s muffled voice sounds back. She’s been in there for about 30 minutes, doing who knows what. I’m dressed and sitting on the ottoman at the foot of her bed with Loki sitting here, also waiting for her to come out of the bathroom.

The door finally opens and I immediately understand the saying that “good things take time.” She’s wearing a fitted sleeveless black dress with a slightly cut side, so her feather/arrow tattoo is visible and stops mid calf. Strappy, black heels are on her feet and her usually curly hair is blown straight. She’s wearing a deep red lipstick and I guess some kind of eye makeup, as her eyes are emphasized. Alluring. Small, gold balls rest in her tiny ears and she has on a black and gold watch.