Life of a High School Witch: 8

Derek's POV

Well, it took them long enough. They finally picked up on me after all these years. The good news, they're going to leave me be as soon as I show them that I'm not a threat. The bad news, I have to spill pretty much my life's story in front of the girl who's my everything. Of course, the fact that this girl is friends with Kourt Reginald didn't help matters one bit.

Kourt was our resident Little Miss Magic, and the fact that this girl thinks she's such hot shit really annoys me. The guys on the lacrosse team call it confidence, but there's definitely such a thing as too much and she has it. I mean yeah, you have magic in your genes so you're physically perfect and play volleyball, basketball, and softball. Cool. You have guys crawling all over you. Cool. You don't need to show off and flash your tits at school. You were one of the first people I met when I started here and you're practically the sole reason why I hardly ever look for physical aspects anymore. Why Maddie gets along with her so well, I'll never understand. How does such a sweet girl become friends with such a narcissistic bitch? Because I still don't get it. I mean, I'm no image of perfection-I'm harsh, sarcastic, rude, lazy, greasy, and I make fun of pretty much everything that moves-but at least I can see the flaws in myself as well as others.

Anyway, near the beginning of 3rd period AP Physics Maddie texts me to meet her in less than ten minutes by the second floor bathrooms. I left right away, since we had a sub and weren't doing anything that I hadn't learned in previous ventures through high school, and proceed to stop at my locker and root through the cooler I kept in the bottom to keep myself in my right of mind. That's the real disadvantage to maintaining a role in society. I have to keep up on my levels of thirst. If I could do without, I would in a heartbeat. No pun intended.

As I slowly walked through the hallways, stepping on the frayed ends on the bottom of my jeans, I heard Kourtney launching into the whole story. In that couple minutes, I heard her tell Maddie absolutely everything and thus proving everything I suspected to be true. I had heard her talking to her mom about it when I drive through the ritzy neighborhood but her just outright saying everything just felt like I was proved right.

Anyway, within two minutes I heard Maddie yelling at Kourt and storming out of the bathroom they were in. Immediately, I made my way to where she was. She acted a bit surprised at my showing up at just the right time, but seemed nonetheless grateful that I was there for her. Without a second thought, I gently wrapped my arms around her and guided her toward the counselor's office which happened to be closed. So I took her to the nurse instead and sat her down in one of the chairs. As she adjusted herself in the seat, she looked at me with her big, watery green eyes and smiled a little. "I don't know what I'd do without you," she said, placing her tiny hand in my lanky, broad-fingered one and rubbing her thumb up and down mine.

I took a deep breath and replied, "Believe me, I'd be way more helpless than you."

We exchanged a few more words before I went to the nurse and asked for a pass to go back to class. The hallways were so desolate that I was almost in the second floor science hallway before I met anyone else. But what a strange twist of fate that the person I'd meet before arriving back in class was Kourt.

She didn't seem to be paying much attention, because she walked right into me. Of course, I knew the second that overbearingly floral fragrance hit my nostrils who it was. She shifted her gaze to look up at me and I scowled back. As she got up, I began to speak. "What did you do to Maddie?"

"What do you mean?" she practically stuttered out, shaking like a leaf and watching my every move.

I was straight to the point. "What did you do to make her so upset? She's in the nurse's office crying. And I know you were the last person to talk to her."

She stopped shaking so much and looked me straight in the face. "Just tell her I'm sorry," she said, sounding genuinely upset.

It took me a second to reply but I finally decided she needed to know the truth. "You know, I told her over and over about how narcissistic your kind are. I can't believe it took her this long to realize it."

I was about to turn around and head to Physics but before I could she spoke again. "I was right, wasn't I?"

I just nodded and, observing the silent panic that'll I'm sure was going on in her head, I told Kourt, "You don't have to worry about her. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her."

"I figured," she replied, sounding slightly less jittery. "It's just our job to know."

"I get it," I tell her. "I suppose you want me to tell her now so she doesn't hate you ?"

"That would be appreciated," she said back, beginning to smirk. "I also kind of need another favor from you."

"What would that be?"

"Full back story. We need it on record."

"OK. I'll get Maddie to talk to you about it," I told her before heading back to class.

Back in the world of AP Physics, that new kid Andrew was bragging about how he's been getting action since day one and nobody was doing the work. So I text Maddie.

Meet me by my car during lunch. I need to tell you something vitally important. I love you.

-Derek

I then sent the message and started drawing the standard stick figure cartoons all over my Calculus notebook until the bell rang for me to go to Wood Shop. That class would drag by like hell.