Life of a High School Witch: 9

Maddie's P.O.V.

     It had been one hell of a morning, to say the least.  So much drama and new information to take in.  It all started this morning, when my phone buzzed without warning in my pocket.  This was caused by the one and only Kourtney, who said it was urgent news.  Of course, she said everything was urgent news.  It wasn't until I got to that empty second floor bathroom that I realized that she actually meant to tell me serious news.  She's one of those types, you know.  They get worked up over everything.

     Anyway, when I got there I was greeted with some shocking news.  It was the type of news that the friends only ever recieve in books or movies or something like that.  Yup, all that supernatural crap.  The world around us is something totally different than we think it is and there are certain people entrusted with keeping the balance.  Kourt happened to be one of them.  I know I seem pretty nonchalant about it right now, but I was pretty surprised when it happened.  I've been given time to reflect on it now and fifteen minutes later, it's old news.  What's not old news is the wild accusations this girl was throwing at my boyfriend, Derek.

     I know, she's one of my best and oldest friends in the world.  She cares about me.  She wants me to be safe and happy.  But there's no way Derek could be what she claimed him to be.  She called him a vampire, accused him of living in secret in the town for years.  I'm sorry, but there is just no way.  He's just a reguar guy, and he only wants the best for me.  He even halted me on Friday while I was trying to unzip his jeans.  He cares about me that much.  It's just not possible.

     Well of course, I had thought magic was impossible not ten minutes earlier, hadn't I?  Derek did seem to hide a lot of things.  Of course, that didn't mean that I minded when he showed up at just the right moment out in the hall and let me fall, bawling, into his long, lean arms.  He patted my shoulder gently as he took me to find a place to sit down so that I could calm down.  We talked a bit more before he was called back up to class, as was I not very long afterward.  He had hugged me and told me that he loved me before he had left.  Everything was going normally.  Reflecting on it as I walked back to class, I was just deciding that Kourt was overreactng to Derek's shyness when my phone buzzed yet again.  Speak of the devil and the devil shal come.  Or, think of the devil and the devil shall text?  I dont know.  But it was Derek.

     All I got out of him was to meet him by his car during lunch because he had news that he had to share that was apparently 'of vital importance'.  I guess I would have to wait until I saw him then to hear news of such importance that he felt the need to warn me about it.  That's really when I started doubting my previous thoughts about what Kourt had said.  But of course, it could be a lot of things. A concussion to end his swimming career?  A scholarship to an ivy league school?  Tickets to see Green Day?  Anything's possible.  Infortunately, that works both ways.  

     So at about halfway to lunch, I waited out my remaining classes until that period.  My eyes barely left the clock during that period of time, save for walking to and from classes.  Unfortunately, I didn't see Derek once during that cycle.  He truly kept me waiting until lunch.  Lunch was when he finally sprang the surprise on me.

     When I came out to the parking lot, all wrapped up in his enormous gray hoodie to shield myself from the freezing rain, he was leaning against that beat up old van, something made of red crushed velvet with a diameter about as long as his hand sitting in his palm.  When I saw this, I looked at him in a rather confused manner.

     "What's that for?"  It wasn't my birthday, and our anniversary had been over the weekend.  There was no occasion.

     He cleared his throat when I asked him that question, seeming to grow uncomfortable by it.  "Look, you know what Kourt said?"

     I raised a brow at the mention of this.  I hadn't said a word of any of it to him or anyone, just as I had promised.  Somehow he knew.  I simply nodded.

     His discomfort seemed to grow as he continued speaking.  "Well, there is some truth to it."  He paused for a moment to take a deep breath before continuing.  "I was just hoping that this didn't change anything- hell, I would settle for it not changing much- between us."  Seeming oddly clumsy in that moment, he stretched out one of those long, lanky arms to offer what appeared to be chocolates in a crushed velvet box.  I took it, though I was trembling slightly. 

     I had no idea what to say, no idea what to do.  Sure, this was the same Derek I had been driving around and making fun of movies with for the past few months.  I just knew more about him now than I had before.  This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it still gave me the creeps.  If I started walking away and he didn't want me to, he'd have no trouble hauling me right back.  What if, now that  I knew, he didn't care anymore?

     Derek had always seemed to have been good at reading my face, because he came in with an answer to my thoughts almost right away.  "You know that if I wanted to hurt you, I would avoid being seen with you in order to avert suspicion, right?"  He rested a slightly calloused hand on my shoulder.  I couldn't help shaking a bit, but I recovered quickly.  "And I wouldn't have met your parents either."

     I considered this a moment.  He did  have a valid point.  A sneaky killer didn't draw attention to themselves.  It would still take time to get used to, nonetheless.