Life of a High School Witch: 3

Stalking the mall on a Friday afternoon is common practice for Maddie, Bella, and I. It just so happens that it's also one of those days where Maddie ditches us for Derek Wendell, uber peculiar swim captain guy. The guy is a legendary athlete, but he's just plain weird.

Lean and closing in on 6 foot 6, he towers over her in almost a menacing way. He was pale, but in an attractive way. His face was long, thin, hollow, and almost gaunt-looking and his grey eyes burned with intensity. His hair was brown-black, thick, and fell almost to his shoulders and rather than making him look gay, he just looked more menacing.

He dressed like he had robbed Kurt Cobain. Every day, the same converse high tops. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love converse. But his are literally wearing away on his feet, they're so old. All his jeans have enormous holes in the knee and none of his shirts fit him right or are in any way flattering. He's all sludgy colors, warm fabrics, and burning stares. I've heard a lot of crazy things about him, whether about his sexual history, IQ (he's supposedly a certified genius), or living conditions. One thing's for sure: If anyone intimidates me, it's him. I mean as much as Maddie likes him I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he scares me shitless.

Today his attire consisted of huge, worn out jeans and a raggedy old horizontally striped thermal in different shades of browns, greens, and greys. The jeans looked as if he bough that particular size just for their length as opposed to getting a long or extra long of a size that would fit around his thin frame. The shirt also looked like it belonged to a guy of the same height, but with a lot more meat on him. The same shoes he always wore had started to rip open at the heel and one of the laces had come untied. His expression was expectantly blank until he saw Maddie. I swear, when he was with her was the only time he ever smiled.

Over his ill-fitting clothes, he wore his letterman jacket. The front said "Wendell 2013" on it and scrawled across the back was our school's name with "Swimmig & Diving" and "Lacrosse" underneath.

No words were exchanged, Maddie just ran into his outstretched arms, waved at us, and Bella and I left with no particular destination. We ended up by the MAC counter in Macy's before we said anything.

"You know, of all the times we've seen him I don't think I've ever heard him speak," Bella said to me as I leaned against one of the beams that were there.

"You know, I don't think I have either," I replied as we started to walk towards the men's section. Anything else I was about to say completely fled my mind when I saw Andrew walking through a maze of clothes racks with our school's basketball captain Ryan Patterson, most likely about a last-minute tryout or something. Without mentioning it to Bella or even thinking at all, I walked up to him with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.

When he saw me, I immediately spoke. "Hey Andrew," I said. "How was the rest of your school day?"

"Hey, Kourtney," he said after I finished talking. "It was actually pretty good. You know, for a first day of school. And I was actually just thinking about what you said about hanging after school. Around seven, the theater? That new exorcism movie?"

I smiled and winked at him. "Sounds great. Not to mention the fact that I do want to see that one."

"See you then," Andrew semi-shouted as Bella and I headed for the exit. Just as we walked out the door and into the downpour, Bella squealed.

"We need to get you ready!" she started just about shouting. I rushed her to my car so she didn't have a breakdown in the parking lot. "How about we go back to my place and you help me pick what to wear?"

She just nodded. Seconds later, I was pulling out of my parking spot and leaving the lot to go home.

All I had on the mind was Andrew. I really could not wait for tonight.

Derek's POV

Flesh is on flesh, sweat and saliva are exchanged, and the rain pounds on the van's roof like nothing else. But, like always, the only thing I could think about is her. The soft skin and sweet perfume clouded my mind. In my entire life, I have never wanted anything else more than her. Madeline. Maddie. She was my drug, my muse, my motivation, my panacea. Nothing else I've experienced compares to having her in my arms. And I could never let my desires get in the way of her well-being.

When she pushed to go further, I pulled away and stopped her. She sighed.

"Look, I know you feel like you want to and you feel like it's the right thing." I took a breath then kept going, "But trust me, if you're not as ready as you think you are then it's

not worth it."

She lay there in silence for a moment, pondering what I had just said. Just a few seconds went by before she uttered those words into my ear. "I love you."

"I love you too," I replied immediately and without haste.

I don't know how long we laid there cuddling, but it was easily the best night of my life. The past three months have been unbelievably amazing, but this was the best night so far. It's not sex that's important to me. It's being with your other half. We actually fell asleep there too, buried in each other's arms. I've never slept so soundly in my life.