epilogue

"you would live a hundred years if i could show you how, i won't desert you now."

~

~

1983

Hank found Alex in the kitchen, sitting at the counter with a beer in his hand.

"Hey, Alex," he said. The blonde looked up.

"Hey, Hank." There was a pause. "It's been ten years since she died."

"You read the letters?" asked Hank, heart panging with guilt.

"Yeah." Another pause.

"I miss her," Hank whispered, putting his weight on the counter. Alex smiled slightly.

"We all do," he said softly. Hank noticed a chain with a single ring around it laying on the table.

"Is that..."

"My engagement ring, yeah," Alex said, picking it up. "Not from her though. I bought another one for myself because tradition and all. I thought we might get married with the rings or something." He gazed at it. "She would've wanted me to keep it."

"Sorry for bringing up all these old memories again," Hank said, looking down.

"It's ok," Alex sighed. "I sorta hoped she would be here when I came back. And with those letters, I guess she sorta was." He smiled slightly again and finished his drink. Alex stood up and walked towards the kitchen door. "Don't feel bad for giving me those letters, Hank."

"I-I don't," stuttered Hank.

"I know you do," Alex replied. "Don't be. They're really special." He sighed. "I miss her a lot still." Then he walked.

Once back in his own room, Alex pushed the box of letters to the side and laid down onto the bed. It was his original room, where he had slept before he met Neva. His heart ached with a pain that had taken him ten years to remove.

"I miss you," he whispered into the air. "I miss you so much," tears welled up in his eyes, "Neva Summers."

~

Alex walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes sleepily. He was about to enter when a familiar voice made him stop in his tracks.

"Hey Alex!" Neva grinned. "I thought maybe we could have pancakes today, so here I am." She laughed and nodded to the awaiting materials consisting of pancake mix, a frying pan, and a wooden utensil. Neva wrapped the apron around her and tilted her head. "You ok, Summers?"

"N-Neva," he said, finding the courage to keep walking into the kitchen.

"Yeah, that's my name," she raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure you're ok?"

"You're...you're here," he said.

"Yeah," she laughed. "Where else would I be?" Alex grinned and went to hug her. She hugged him back. He sighed.