letter vii

"i don't think we should"

~

May 1, 1965

Dear Alex,

I hate this. All of it. But I really love it at the same time. My head hurts everyday at random moments. Is this how Charles felt when he first received his powers?

On a brighter side, the mutant school is starting up in August. I got to sit in on one of your teaching practice things. In the middle of the "lesson," you grinned at me, which I think Charles disapproved of. It made me laugh though. So yay!

You are really, really, really excited about this school. I think you'll do amazing, Alex. You're a natural at this teaching stuff. Charles told me that he's quite proud of your progress. I'm proud of you too. I know that you are scared that you will be one of those lame teachers that we all had in high school and ruin some kids' lives, but I beg to differ. You are going to be great.

(By the way, you can't be worse than Sean. No offense Sean, but there's a reason Charles asked you to do the sports section of school.)

You like to take me out on different dates. It's very cute. The other day, we had a picnic lunch near the lake on the mansion grounds. It was beautiful. Good weather too. Hank ended up interrupting us, but it was ok. He looked very embarrassed, even though all we were doing was eating and throwing food at each other.

I'm going to have to stop the cheerfulness for right now and just spill it all.

Alex, I just...can't. I don't think we should, well, ok I'm going to stop there. I don't want to end this relationship. I mean, it hasn't even been a year and plus if we do break up, it's going to be very awkward. But at the same time, I don't know if I can go on mentally and emotionally.

You kissed me again today.

First of all, it was a bit magical. Who would've thought that I would be kissing Alex Summers?! Last year, I would've laughed if someone told me that. It was because it's been about half a year since we started dating, and that is very significant.

Second of all, your (highly probable) future wasn't as pressing as last time. Maybe it's because I've played it over and over in my mind involuntarily, but it still was bad. I start to shake a little whenever I think of it. Charles asked me if I was ok last week when I accidentally thought of it.

I don't want this to end.

But I don't think I can continue.

Love, Neva Liu

~

FOUR MONTHS LATER...

"Hey, Neva!" Neva looked up from her writing to see a certain James Cavern walk over to her and wave. She smiled, waved back, and closed her journal. James was another mutant that Charles had recruited as one of the teachers. Before being fired, James had originally been a high school teacher. He wasn't much older than Charles, and he was quite the gentleman: charming and funny. He had the ability to turn into sand, making science demonstrations very entertaining.

Oh, and he was also the only other teacher who would talk to Neva. Even in the mutant adult world, she was an outcast. At least her student seemed to enjoy her class.

"Hey, James," said Neva. James went to sit next to her on the bench near the mansion. It was the time of day when the trees provided shade, and it was the time of day when Neva liked the most to write outside. "What have I done to earn your acquaintance?" she mimicked Charles. He laughed his big, hearty laugh.

"Just came to warn you: some students are going to play soccer on this lawn soon with Cassidy bein' coach, so watch out." She smiled.

"Thanks. Anything else?" she asked, as she pulled on her gloves. She would go inside; it was getting hot outside anyways.

"Alex said that his session is over and he wants to talk to you before his next class starts," James said, looking up as if trying to remember all Alex had said. Neva sighed a bit but then nodded with a smile. "Something wrong?"

"Just tired. I haven't gotten much sleep lately," she answered simply. He nodded doubtfully.

"Ok. Maybe you can take a nap or something?" he suggested. Neva smiled again. Smile through it all.

"Yeah, good idea. Thanks, James. I mean, Mr. Sand," she teased. He raised an eyebrow.

"Thanks Neva. Or should I say, Ms. Future," he said back.

"Go teach a class, Cavern," she laughed. James stood up, winked, and then walked off with his textbooks in hand. Neva sighed again and stood up to walk to the mansion.

A few minutes later, she reached Alex's classroom. He taught World History, and Neva taught English in the room down the hall. She opened the door of his room and saw Alex conferring with a student about whether or not ancient history is important. He didn't look up at her until the student (seemingly defeated in the debate) walked out of the class. The blonde grinned at her.

"I see you've won over yet another student, Mr. Summers," she said jokingly. He shrugged.

"And I  heard that you stun the students with your writing, Ms. Liu," Alex said back. Neva blushed.

"But you are the 'fun' teacher." She pointed to the elaborate model of a catapult on the front desk, complete with a paper rock. He grinned more.

"Hank says my lessons are too dangerous, but whatever." Neva laughed, walked away, and sat on top of the front desk. Alex followed. "How are you?" He put his hands around her waist, and she leaned on the table.

"I'm ok." She smiled. "Classes are good. Although, the professor is a better English teacher."

"Don't say that! Your kids love you!" She rolled her eyes.

"Some kids are telling me that you talk about me a lot," Neva commented. It was true - many of her students who were also in Alex's class talked to her about how the male teacher would go off into a bit of a ramble sometimes about his mutant girlfriend. She was touched, albeit a little embarrassed.

"How could I not?"

"How are you so sweet?" she murmured, putting her head on his shoulder. He hugged her.

"I'm Havok. I wow the ladies." She groaned and took her head off his shoulder.

"Oh goodness, Alex, do not pull that pick-up line on me." He laughed loudly and looked at her eyes. Before she could protest, Alex kissed her. It was getting hard not to, as he had never been in a relationship this long without any of the PDA. She kissed back for a minute. That sweet golden minute...

Then, Neva pushed him off and took a breath. Alex bit his lip. He knew that there was something about his future (or possibly past) that had seemingly scarred her. She tried to hide it, and she did a very good job of hiding her hurt most of the time. But she didn't know that sometimes, Alex saw through the pretty smiles and white lies. He saw her pain.

And seeing her hurt made him hurt too.