prologue - the box

~

~

Alex Summers rummaged through the closet in his old room. He grinned as the nostalgia came back. Being with the team. Being Havok. Fighting in Cuba. Then starting the school at the mansion. Good times. Well, sorta intense, but still.

"Hey, Alex!" Scott called. The blonde looked to up to see his little brother coming in with a box. Scott had his new red glasses on that Hank had made. He looked a bit more nerdy with them on. Alex smiled to himself.

"Hey! What do you have over there?" He stood up and walked over. Scott dropped the box onto the table. It was a medium-sized cardboard box that looked fairly heavy. Alex wondered what was inside.

"That Hank guy told me to give these to you." He dusted his hands off. "He said they were letters from uh...it was Nevi? Nava? Neva? Something like that." Alex's stomach dropped.

"Shit," he whispered. His mind whirled with possibilities. His chest felt tight and hurt slightly. Scott looked up, curious.

"Who're they from?" he asked. Alex shook his head.

"No one, no one. Thanks for helping me out. Go and find people to talk to, I'll come and check on you later. Find River again, she's great." Scott shrugged but grinned.

"Mkay. See you." He walked out the door and almost fell over. "It's the glasses! I'm good!"

"Yeah right! You're just a klutz!" Alex called back. He turned his attention back to the box. He was scared to open it. What was inside? What would the letters say? He hadn't seen Neva in over ten years. After the incident...no, it was too much to process. He walked away and sat on the bed, head in his hands.

God, the moment I come back...this happens.

He lay down, heart and mind in turmoil.

Just open the damn box, Summers. Get it over with.

Alex sat up and dragged the box over to the bed. He opened the cardboard flaps and saw paper. Letter after letter. Some looked older, some had creases. Some had food stains, and some were lined paper. He sighed and hesitantly opened the first one.

"Dear Alex..."

~