Chapter 32 The First Appointment

February 22, 1998

Author's POV 
(Los Angeles, California)

Today was the day of Mariah's first prenatal appointment and she was nervous mess at the moment.

She had just completed the last show of The Butterfly World Tour the night before in Honolulu, Hawaii and had to fly nine hours to Los Angeles to make it in time for her appointment, due to poor planning with her manager.

I'm so tired, I just can't wait to see my Ginuwine, she thought as she looked out of the window of her limo and gently laid her hand on her stomach, which was now slightly protruded.

10 minutes later, Mariah finally arrived at the doctor's office. Her driver opened her door, she got out ,and immediately saw Ginuwine standing there with a wide grin on his face.

She ran into his arms and tightly embraced him.

"Oh baby I missed you so much", Mariah said, relieved to see him.

"I missed you too and I've seen you've grown a little", he said resting his hand on her barely-there baby bump.

"Yeah, let's go inside and see how the baby's doing", Mariah smiled.

The couple went inside the doctor's office, signed in at the front desk, and were immediately sent to the exam room since there were no other patients that day.

The doctor Ginuwine and Mariah had chosen was named Dr. Arya Rease, who was one of the best OB/GYN's in the United States and was exclusively known for her prestigious care of pregnant women and unborn babies.

Ginuwine and Mariah were directed to the exam room by an assistant, and Mariah was instructed to lay down on the examination table. Ginuwine took a seat beside her and held her hand.

"Hello my name is Elsie, I am Dr. Rease's assistant and I'm here to check your vitals and ask a few questions before Dr. Rease comes in to evaluate you", a short, brown-haired, green-eyed woman cheerily said.

"Hello nice to meet you", Ginuwine and Mariah said in unison, which caused them to smile at each other.

"Okay we're gonna start off with the questions first. When was your last menstrual period?"

"It was December 12th", Mariah said, finally remembering the date.

"Mhm, were you taking some sort of contraceptive?", Elise said as she wrote some things down on her clipboard.

"Yes, I was on birth control pills and I missed taking the pill for one day", Mariah said.

"Do you remember that exact date that you missed?"

"Yes, it was December 25th."

"Okay, have you been having any discomfort, bleeding, or spotting?", Elise asked.

"I've been having some really bad cramping, but it doesn't happen often", Mariah said.

"Why didn't you tell me?", Ginuwine asked, freaking out a little.

"It's okay Mr. Haughton, cramps are very common, especially since it's Mariah's first time being pregnant", Elsie chuckled.

"Oh okay…..good", Ginuwine said taking a sigh of relief.

"Um Mariah we were already briefed by your general practitioner of your family situation so were just going to ask you, Mr. Haughton if there are any health problems that run in your family?", Elise asked as she turned her attention to Ginuwine.

"Well my mother has high blood pressure, but other then that, there are no other health problems."

"Okay great."