Chapter 10 At Ginuwine's Place

June 26, 1997

Ginuwine's POV

Once we got to my place it was already nine' o clock at night. I didn't want to keep Mariah out too late, but I had brought her back to my place for a reason. I thought this would be the perfect time for me to ask some questions I've been wanting to know. I wanted to make sure I knew who I was falling in love in with.

"This place is nice", Mariah said as she walked in and looked around.

"Thanks, I tried my best."

I closed and locked my door and gestured for Mariah to follow me to the lounge room.

"Hold on let me take off these heels because my feet are killing me", she said.

She took off her heels and I reached for her hand so that I could lead her to the lounge room.

As we were walking, I noticed that she was walking on her tippy toes, which I found to be quite odd.

"Why are you walking on your tippy toes?", I chuckled.

"It's a habit, I've been doing it since I was a little girl", she said.

Once we got to the all white lounge room and were seated, I decided to start the conversation.

"So Mariah, I want to know more about you", I said.

"Well what do you want to know?", she asked.

"I want to know about your family, your childhood, how you rose to fame, etc."

All of a sudden a look of discomfort grew on Mariah's face.

"Um how about you go first", she said looking visibly uneasy.

"Oh, well okay", I said and then began.

"Well I was born in Brooklyn, New York. I'm the oldest of three-"

"Wait I thought it was just you and Aaliyah?", she said.

"No we have a brother named Rashad. He's the middle child. Right now he's off in college studying to be a film director, that's why you haven't seen him."

"Oh....interesting", she said.

"Well anyway I was born in Brooklyn, New York and when I turned ten years old, my family and I moved to Detroit, Michigan. Rashad was two years old and my mother Diane was pregnant with Aaliyah."

"Why did you guys move?", Mariah asked curiously.

"We moved because my father Michael and my Uncle Barry had just started a new record label called Blackground Records, which is the same label that Aaliyah is under today. We also moved to be closer to the rest of my family because none of them lived in New York."

"My childhood was pretty fun in Detroit since I was surrounded by all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and the rest of my family. My cousins and I all went to the same school and we were very well known around the city."

"When I turned eighteen years old, I decided to move back to New York to go to college. I attended Pratt Institute for one year before dropping out, which was a dumb idea."

"What did you study there?", she asked.

I studied art because I wanted to be painter. Matter of factly, that painting right there is actually one of my creations", I said pointing to the wall on the far side of the room.

 Matter of factly, that painting right there is actually one of my creations", I said pointing to the wall on the far side of the room