Chapter 2 (Part 1) Awards Night

March 14, 1997
Author's POV

Tonight was the night of the American Music Awards and Mariah had to perform her number one hit "Fantasy".

Tonight was also the night where she revealed the name of her new album to her fans. Mariah was excited for tonight and couldn't wait for it to get here.

Brat would not be able to make it tonight due to mandatory deadlines that had to be met at her label. She still wished Mariah all the best of luck before she had to leave for her meeting at the label headquarters.

As for Ginuwine, he too would also be attending the AMA's tonight.

His debut album, "Ginuwine...The Bachelor", was weeks away from being released and he was there to promote it. He was also nominated for "Best New Artist", "Male Artist of the Year", and "Best Debut Single" for his song "Pony".

Before the show started there was a red carpet pre-show where the stars would take pictures, sign autographs, and do short interviews.

All of the hottest stars such as Destiny's Child, Brandy, Monica, Toni Braxton, and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony would be there.

Ginuwine's POV

I arrived at the red carpet pre-show with my sister Aaliyah. People are always surprised when they find out we are siblings and always ask if we have different parents. We have the same parents, it's just that Aaliyah looks like my mom and I look like my dad.

Anyways, tonight I'm presenting awards to other artists and Aaliyah is performing the singles from her second album "One in a Million".

We mingled with the other artists for a while and signed a few autographs from the screaming fans on the other side of the fence for a long while.

It was thirty minutes until the show started when the intercom came on to announce the arrival of another artist.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE ONE AND ONLY MARIAH CAREY HAS ARRIVED!!!"

"G! Did you hear that! Mariah Carey is here! Oh my gosh I love her so much!", Aaliyah said trying to contain herself.

"LiLi calm down."

"Don't call me by my nickname", she said annoyed.

She hated when I called her by her nickname in public.

Soon she got distracted and went off to talk to her best friends Brandy and Monica.

I saw Mariah getting out of her limo and walking onto the red carpet. She had on a dark blue dress that showed off her long legs.

She was surrounded by a huge entourage full of bodyguards, makeup artists, and hairstylists that were touching her up for the red carpet.

After the huge crowd of people dispersed, interviewers and photographers began asking her questions and taking photos.

I had only done a few interviews tonight and took about a dozen pictures. They were snapping hundreds of pictures and asking her a thousand questions a second.

I could barely take my eyes off of her. She was that beautiful.

I wanted to go over and talk to her but there was just so many people around her at once.

I decided to wait a while. I went around and mingled with some of the artists to make the time go by faster.

It was about five minutes until the awards show started when the crowd around her finally cleared up. Even though I was nervous as hell, I decided to go over to her. It was either now or probably never.