Eliza

Eliza worked for a mean boss. Financing his business. He would often grab her hair and hurt her. Bruise her arms from his grip so tightly on her. She left the building one day, clutching the files she would take home to look over, close to her chest. "Please! Please stop!" Someone begged in the alley to her right. She stopped and looked. A bald man in a black outfit had a knife to her boss's throat. "You've crossed Penguin for the last time." The bald man said. She watched on in fright of what would happen. "No! Please I swear! I'll do anything!" Her boss pleaded. "Worthless coward." The bald man said then drove the blade into his throat. She gasped and the bald man looked to her. He pulled the knife out and let the body drop then started walking towards her. He had a mean stride. "Thank you." She said to him. He approached her and stopped. "What?" He asked. His expression changed from black to curious. "He...um...he...abused me." She told him, stuttering. "He would, day in and day out. But you saved me from that. From him. So, thank you." She said and looked up to the bald man into his dark eyes. He lifted his head and breathed in deep then let out a short, heavy huff and put his knife away. Looking around at the city, not making eye contact with her, he spoke. "Guess I helped two people get a job done, tonight. Lucky me." He said and began to walk away. "I'll be out of a job now though!" She said and started to follow him. "Not my problem." He responded and approached a sleek, black car on the driver's side and unlocked it. "I'll be yours! I'll do whatever you want." She said. He opened the door and paused. "Ooohhh, you wouldn't want that pussycat." He said as he looked to her gravely. She changed to expressing submissiveness.

"You'll just do what I want because I saved you. Classic, girl falls for hero kind of thing." He said. She made eye contact with him again. "You're no hero." She said. A half grin spread along his face. "Drop the files." He said. She opened her arms and the files fell to her feet. Papers spreading on the damp ground. He was impressed. She didn't even hesitate. "Now go home." He said and got in his car then closed the door. She began to walk on, leaving the files on the sidewalk. He turned on his car and drove away the opposite direction. As he was home, he thought about the woman. Why was she submissive to him? Why did she want to work for him? She was probably just some stupid girl. The next evening, he attended Penguin's opening day for his Iceberg Lounge. As he was above, looking below, he spotted the young woman at a table. She was looking around, then she looked up and spotted him. Why was it, only with her, he could hold a gaze that wasn't dark to the other person? He had no feelings. In fact, he felt blank. Not like killing her. Or like kissing her. He looked away and watched others but saw her leave the table in his peripheral. She walked to the stairs, carrying her drink in her hand and went up daintly. She approached near him but kept a couple feet away. "We meet again." She said. "Not by choice." He added. He didn't change his position or look back to her. "Do you always wear black?" She asked him. "Not very many people are curious about me." He said and looked to her. "Why do you like me? Is it still that whole savior thing? Tell me that's not it. Because...woman...I am not that." He said. "I already said you're no hero. What else do you want me to say?" She said. "Well I don't need a preppy girl scout to be following me around like a lost pussycat." He snapped. "I'm not some preppy scout, baldy. I can handle things." She snapped back. "Oh. I see pussycat has a backbone now." He remarked. "My name is Eliza." She said. "And my name is Victor Zsasz. Hey! Look at that. We have names." He said sarcastically then began to walk past her. She whirled around as he did. "I still want to stay with you!" She said. He stopped and sighed then turned around. "I want to work for you. And I will do whatever it takes. I don't care. I want to be yours now." She said. "I feel like your boss had you as his little pet and now that I killed him, I'm left with his pet clinging onto me because there's no other home." He said. "I don't have another home." She said. "I got evicted today. And I know you'd rather just discard me onto the street but I will most absolutely do what you want. I don't know what it is. But I see your face Victor Zsasz and I think you're beautiful. And I just, don't want to leave you." She said. He was confused. And surprised. No one has ever thought of him as beautiful, before. He took a step towards her, leaning his left side to her direction. "Your perspective of me, is very interesting. But alright. Stick around with me. I'm sure something will change your mind on how I'm 'beautiful'." He said. She gave a small smile and approached him. He stood up straight. Standing tall. "I will not leave your side, Victor." She said. "Okay, pussycat. I've still got a job to do." He told her and began to walk on. She followed and took a sip of her drink.