Episode 76: The Accursed One

[The next day]

[The next day]

After eating we had split back up into groups and at night, we watched the old kaiju movie. I had never seen the second princess so excited. She looked as if she would jump out of her seat and take orbit around Zionia at any moment. I was glad to see her like that. Rosa's dizziness had spooked me. Thankfully, it did turn out to be due to lack of food in her belly.

Though what she said in my room stuck with me. Had something really happened between us? Even if not, I no longer could call her a pervert, not after having had that dream of her and me...

For today, Hideo and I were pulled aside to train with Kohri and Serrano. Serra though wanted to have a one on one training session with me. So Kohri got to train Hideo by himself.

Serra and I had gone to a flat clover filled field at the northeastern edge of my family's lands to do our training.

"Tetsu, you've been out of it lately. Well, more than usual. It feels as if you're not taking this seriously. Did you only wish to become a knight in order to gain fame?" Serrano asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I..." I began but was quickly cut off.

"Because if so then that is a path filled with many traps. The pursuit of fame can lead one to destruction. And I am telling you this not only for your endeavors as a knight, but also for when you become a writer. Do not be blinded by its siren song."

"I didn't! I wanted to become a knight in order to walk in my father's path!"

"In that case, you sought the renown that your father had. When I said that I'll be the best knight ever, I meant it not in terms of fame, but rather one who holds a righteous heart." He averted his gaze. "Though, I haven't been doing a good job at that. You know, I thought that you had said heart."

"Even if I do, am I even worthy of being one? I haven't done anything of noteworthiness as a knight," I said, lowering my head.

I hadn't saved anyone. Dan was saved by his dad and mine. I wasn't even able to stop that bastard who tried to take advantage of Rosa from getting away! Nor had I helped anyone. Then I went ahead and died in Xeleria, causing Yuko to turn into a wrathful beast. I was a liability more than a help.

Serrano stared at his blade and raised it in front of him. "A knight isn't made in a day nor even in a few months," Serrano said, putting a hand on his hips. "A true knight isn't even born through painstaking training. He is born from the tribulations of the battlefield and his life. The previous generation learned that. We who have been raised in a period of relative peace until recently can only begin to fathom it. To grasp at its surface. Knighthood is as much philosophy as it is action. It is a way of life." He smiled. "'Philosophy', that's your name, Tetsu. At least, I think that's what my uncle and aunt had in mind when they named you, in addition to your ability to bend iron."

"Philosophy?" I asked, looking down at my hands. My philosophy early on had been to be the best knight possible, like those spoken of in the chivalrous romance novels of old. The kind who protected the princess and the other nobles. One who was unafraid to put his life on the line to save others. The same kind of knight that my father once was.