Part 4: Happy Birthday Dinah

Lauren pov.

Today is Dinah's birthday.

How did I know that? From Facebook, duh. She accepted my friend request like 3 days ago.

It is Friday night. I'm at home, laying on my bed, serving the internet using my laptop. I still haven't got a new phone because as my mother said "money doesn't grow on trees". I'm lucky that she didn't punish the hell out of me for breaking the phone.

I typed in Dinah's name on Facebook, and there she is. My favorite human. I can't wait to get to know her and the fact that today is her birthday gave me a chance to finally have something to say to her.

"Hmm what should I say? First impression is everything, right?" the sound of my fingers tapping on my laptop sync perfectly with "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities that I'm blasting through my speaker

"Hey Dinah, happy birthday! You don't know me but I'm hoping to get to know you ;)"

"Nah that's too much" I delete the message as soon as I typed it.

"Happy birthday, beautiful ;)"

"Nah that's too gay. She probably going to block me" I delete it again.

The fingers that were tapping on my laptop now tapping on my chin.

"How about .. Hi! I'm Lauren! My best friend Normani rides school bus with your best friend Ally every day! Coincident? I think not! Let's get marry."

What. The. Fuck. Did. I. Just. Type.

"Get it together Lauren. This is easy. Keep it simple and try not to be creepy." Slapping myself left and right, I try to think of something, anything that will work.

Got it.

I type in the message that I found perfect for me. As I click post, there is a knock on my door.

"Yes!?" I shout.

My mother, Clara, peeking her head in my room.

"Hey honey, can I come in?"

"Sure mom, what's up" I sit up from my previous position as my mother sit down on my bed.

"I just wanna check on you. You know, the school, the break up, the phone" She said, stroking my head with caring hand.

"I'm perfectly fine mother. You don't have to worry about a thing. Especially the break up. That got nothing on me"

"Well, that is good to hear. To be honest, I never like Lucy anyway" She admitted.

"Wow. Will you ever going to tell me that if we never break up?" I said quite amusing.

"Absolutely not. It doesn't matter how I feel about her. It's how you feel about her that's important to a mother like me" she said, smiling softly.

"Thank you so much mom, for everything. For understanding and for accepting me as I am." My eyes starts to tear up as I curl myself into her lap snuggly.

"You are my daughter. Your happiness and well-being is all that matter honey. One day, when you are a mother, you will understand." She lean down and kiss my forehead before tapping my shoulder, signaling for me to get off of her.

"I love you, Lauren. Nothing in this world is going to change that." Her loving hand stroke my face one more time before she exit my room.

Blinking my tears away I sigh and laying down on my stomach, hands reaching for my laptop.

Having a mother that understanding is so overwhelming. She doesn't judge you, she doesn't expect anything from you, she's just love you. I am eternally grateful.