\.Didn't Tell Me./

Friday, - December 23, 1988

"STOOOP!I'm gonna get my legs wet y'all!"
Adri shouted as another snowball hit her.She turned around to me, putting on her gloves.
"If they want war, that's what they're gonna get!"
I laughed, watching my uncle and two little cousins grabbing some more snow from the ground, forming little balls of it soon after.
"Ok, guys.Now it's us-"
I pointed at Adri and myself.
"against you three.But we're gonna beat you, now matter how hard you try!"
"Was that a dare, honey?"
My uncle shouted from the other side of the street which was completely covered with white and soft snow.
"Oh, you bet!"
I shouted back, Adri and I already forming the next snowballs as we laughed.We had arrived here yesterday and luckily, Adri was able to come with me so that we could spend Christmas Eve together at my parent's house.We had already carried our clothes and stuff to my old room yesterday and slept in my big bed.Shortly after we arrived, the rest of my family, besides my other uncle and aunt, came in as well.We had a big dinner together, ending up talking about the past until after midnight.It was so good to have them back all together at once and I felt so rejuvenated to be a part of such a loving family.Especially when you thi-
"Ouch!"
I screamed as a snowball was being thrown at my arm distracting me from my thoughts.
"Oh, just wait y'all!"
I shouted, Adri nodding her head towards me as we threw the snowballs to the other side of the street, hoping to get their clothes wet as well.

About an hour later...
"You Guys!Hot chocolate and coffee is ready - come in!"
My grandma shouted, standing in the doorframe of our house.She smiled at us, obviously being glad to see us all being together and fooling around.The kids immediately ran across the street towards the door, my uncle, Adri and I quickly following them.
"Mira, could you help me with the waffles real quick?"
Grandma asked me, looking at me with her light brown eyes.
"Sure, just let me take my jacket off and then I'm gonna help you straight away!"
I smiled at her as she giggled, turning around to head towards the kitchen.I quickly took off my warm and fluffy jacket, putting it to the side along with my gloves and hat.Then I went to the kitchen as well, rubbing my hands to make me feel warm again.
"So, what do we got here?"
I looked over the fresh waffles, taking in the heavenly smell as I could already feel my stomach grumble.
"I made fresh waffles.If you're gonna help me now, we can eat them when they're still warm."
She took a couple of plates out of the kitchen shelf, handing them to me.
"Uhh - granni, you sure those waffles aren't burned?I know you can't cook that well..."
I smirked, loving to tease my grandma.She quickly went towards another drawer, opening it and grabbing a dipper.Daring me to beat me, she held it up in the air.
"Say that one more time!"
She smiled as she walked towards me.I laughed.
"Ok ok, Imma stop - just don't hurt me."
I looked down at the small figure in front of me.She started laughing, shaking her head.
"Mira Mira Mira...Do you always have to make you grandma being upset?"
She asked, putting the first waffle on the plate.
"No, it's just because I love you."
I laid my head on top of hers and she giggled.
"I love you too, my dear."

Later on that afternoon...
"So, how is my little girl doing nowadays?"
My grannie asked as I sat down next to her on our couch.
"Good!I'm waiting for the answers from the clinics..."
"Oh, which one did you send the applications to?"
She asked, looking up from her book.
"Three around L.A., one in Orange and the other two are located in Rochester and here."
"Rochester and here?That's so far away from your house honey."
She looked worried.
"Yeah, I know but otherwise I can stay at Adri's flat since she got two bedrooms or I'll look for a small apartment here in Washington."
"And what about your friends then?"
"Well, I - I guess they're gonna...I don't know.I mean, I could still come back or visit them from time to time."
I shrugged.
"Yeah, that's true.And...I'm sure you're gonna make new friends pretty quickly!"
She smiled as the wrinkles on her face showed even more.My grandma has always been kind of my rock when it came to the things that bothered me.She was a great listener and always knew what to do.I had the most interesting discussions with her, not to mention that her opinion on many things did indeed have a huge impact on me.She also had never been the kind of stubborn or mean grandmother.She was funny and always crazy in her head.One thing she always told me was:
Mira, why worry about the bad and sad things that happened in the past when you can't change something about it anyway?Be happy now - and live your life the best that you can be.
And I've always tried to stick to that.
"What about...a new guy?Are you interested in anybody?"
She asked, playfully pushing her shoulder into mine.
Yeah, I'm falling for MJ - great, right?
"Well, I'm still trying to get away from Miles and-"
She sighed.
"That guy just wasn't good for you, I always told you that.He's a stupid...nut!"
I giggled, tilting my head towards her.
"A stupid nut?Really granni?"
"Yeah, I couldn't think of something more creative so fast."
She laughed as she put her hand on my leg.
"Don't worry hun, the right and only guy you'll ever need is surely-"
Doing concerts in Tokyo right now?Yup.
"waiting for you to come into his life..."
Her eyes glistened at me.
"Oh, Henry just told me that you and Michael Jackson met during your stay in Paris when you worked at his hotel - is that true?"
"Yeah!"
I smiled brightly, thinking of how I already missed his humor and cuteness.
"Yeah...I - it was really great.We spent the week together and had much fun.He's really great-"
"Yes, I like him too.He makes good music - what's this one song called again?"
She asked, raising her eyebrows at me.
"Well, there're many of them.From his new album?"
"Yeah, it's where he chases a young woman through the-"
"The Way You Make Me Feel!"
I immediately knew which one she met.
"Yes!Exactly - I like this one...Anyway, what did you wanna tell me hun?"
"Oh, just that it was a really amazing time and I feel so blessed that I got to be with him.He's very different than most guys today...And when you're talking to him apart from all the cameras, that's so cool.He's fun, very smart, sweet and when he laughs - that's so contagious!"
"Wow!"
Leaning in closer to me, she said:
"You didn't tell me that you're in love with him."
She winked at me, focusing back on her book as she chuckled to herself.
...