4. Leo x Reader

Too Good at Goodbyes

~Your PoV~

You must think that I'm stupid

You sat on top of a roof, waiting for Leo to meet up with you. Today was the last day; tonight the last night. You couldn't take it anymore. How could Leo keep this up and think you would never find out?

You must think that I'm a fool

You would wait for him to meet up with you for your date, but it was always the same excuses. At first he would say that something came up. Then he started to say that he had another mission or an early patrol that would last all night. Now, he simply says that he's can't or he's busy.

You must think that I'm new to this

His voice is always filled with fake sympathy. You could hear the smile on his face on the other end of the phone. You knew that you meant nothing to him anymore. You're used to his ways, you're not new to him brushing you to the side.

But I have seen this all before

The next time you saw Leo, he would try to apologize and swear that he still loved you. In the beginning, you believed it, but now, you didn't know what to believe anymore.

I'm never gonna let you close to me, even though you mean the most to me

So, you just stopped trying, hoping that he would come around again, and he did. He would always come back, but only when he wanted company. Any other time, it seemed like he didn't notice your absence.

Cause every time I open up, it hurts
So I'm never gonna get too close to you

You tried to confront him one time, and that one time he got defensive. He accused you of not trusting him the way a good girlfriend should. He told you that you were the one that was wrong. You were the problem if you couldn't respect his privacy without assuming he's cheating or blowing you off. You simply hung your head with a sigh and left the lair.

Even when I mean the most to you
In case you go and leave me in the dirt

That same day, he called you over and over again, telling you that he was sorry and you were the only girl for him. He scheduled a date night for later on that week, which he never showed up to.

Every time you hurt me, the less that I cry

After the first two months of rejection, you ran out of tears. You ran out of reasons to care. You knew that his apologies meant nothing, they were emptier than your tear ducts.

And every time you leave me, the quicker these tears dry

The first time he left you to "patrol alone," you were confused. That is, until it became a constant pattern. He'd be watching a movie or a TV show with you until he received a text message. His smile would brighten like the sun, and he would leave you faster than the sunset leaves when the sun's final ray shines onto the world before nightfall hit.

And every time you walk out, the less I love you

One day, you caught a glimpse of who it was he was texting. It was Karai. The next date night, it was someone named Angel. You felt your heart drop more and more every time, and now you're sure there's nothing left inside of you that could love Leo.

Baby, we don't stand a chance, it's sad but it's true

The moment you felt the last grain of love for him leave your body you knew you'd been allowing him to play with your emotions for too long. Your relationship wouldn't last; it couldn't last. He can't even love you enough to stay faithful. He probably doesn't love you at all. No, you know he doesn't love you at all. He only tells you he does to make you stay, and you've stayed for too long.

I'm way too good at goodbyes

You checked the time on your phone. He was five minutes late. You told him that tonight was important, and he didn't even seem to have a sense of urgency. You sat there, a dull expression overtook your face. You're too used to the feeling of being let down.

No way that you'll see me cry

Tears were foreign to you now. Your body refused to cry over him anymore. You stood and turned on your heels once he was half an hour late.

I know you're thinking I'm heartless
I know you're thinking I'm cold

What surprised you was when you heard your name being called by an almost unfamiliar familiar voice. Leo grabbed your hand and turned you around. He expected to receive a warm smile, but all he got in return was a bored stare.

"Sorry I'm late, so-"

"Something came up? No, let me guess again. You were busy. Or perhaps it was patrol again." You rolled your eyes.

Leo laughed nervously. "Actually I was looking for my phone."

"Is that why you smell like perfume? Or is that Mikey's new favorite pizza flavor's scent?" You raised an eyebrow.

Leo's smile faded. "What are you implying?"

I'm just protecting my innocence
I'm just protecting my soul

You glared at him. "What do you think I'm implying? Who was it this time? Angel or Karai? Unless you have other girls you don't want me to know about."

Leo backed away from you. "So, you're accusing me of cheating again?"

"Is it accusing if you know it's the truth, Leonardo?" You frown and pull your jacket closer to your body as the wind picked up.

"I can't believe we're having this conversation again. You're my girlfriend, my only girlfriend." He said while looking off to the left.

"Can you look me in the eye and say that? Of course you can't!" You shake your head and pinch the bridge of your nose.

"Are you calling me a liar?" He yelled.

"I ain't calling you a truther!" You exclaimed over him.

You sighed and recollected your emotions before continuing. "Look, Leo, let's face it. You don't love me and I don't love you anymore, okay? It was nice while it lasted, but once the Leo I fell in love with disappeared, so did our healthy relationship. I can't live in pain everyday knowing that I mean nothing to the person who once meant the world to me."

"(Y/n), I do love you." He stepped forward.

Holding a hand up, you stopped him in his tracks. "No, you love the idea of being with me. I've been hurt by you enough. I can't keep this going. I'm sorry Leo, but I'm too good at goodbyes with you. Whatever this is, it's over."

"(Y/n). (Y/n)! You can't just leave me like this! I'll give them up. I only want you." He followed you to the edge of the building, watching as you climbed down the ladder.

You said nothing as you began to walk down the street back home. Plugging in your headphones, your shoved your hands into your pockets and smiled to yourself, knowing that finally, you are free of the pain. Free from grief. Free from the goodbyes.