My Mother

Mom rings the doorbells, early on a Tuesday morning two weeks after Michael came back from tour. I open the door, wiping my apron and giving a big smile. 

"You're just in time to see the peanut butter-banana bread I made," I say. 

Mom takes off her huge sunglasses. She tosses her gray fur mantle on the sofa. 

"I hope you've stocked up on some vodkas for me," she says. Mom walks straight into the kitchen, her sharp eyes scanning for any mistake I've made to swiftly judge. 

"No, mom, you're supposed to quit drinking, remember?" I protest. The bread is cooling on the kitchen island. Mom quickly takes a knife and cuts herself a slice. 

"How's the relationship between you and Michael's mother faring along?" Mom asks while eating. "Mm, this is good."

"I honestly don't know," I sigh, sitting down. "Michael's mother is...um, quite interesting. She has very high standards 'cause of her religion and all. But I'm trying." 

"Remember, do not think all is lost. You have the potential to become friends with that woman."

I roll my eyes. "Mom, I don't think I want to be friends with Katherine. Just getting on her good side is enough."

"How about the three of us have lunch here? You make a nice Italian meal, and we all have a good glass of wine and chit chat."

"She doesn't drink wine, AND it'll be a very awkward conversation."

"It won't have to be awkward! We can talk about our husbands, and planning for your baby! There is so much to discuss!"

"But Katherine isn't the person to discuss those stuff with." I start cleaning up. 

"Leave those there." I sit back down.

"Alessandra told me a few things last evening. About LaToya and Rebbie." 

I raise my eyebrows. "What happened? They've been pretty nice so far since the wedding. I think we're starting to be like sisters, actually."

"Hold your excitement, dear. Alessandra tells me that LaToya went to a women's function and was telling the other ladies over there how worried she was that you would not be able to care for the baby."

"Is that what Alessandra told you?"

"Mhmm." Mom swigs her drink down. 

I stare out the window, thinking about whether I should trust this "intel" or not. Mom is a renowned troublemaker and what Alessandra said could or couldn't have been further from the truth. 

"Look, I appreciate what you're trying to do here," I begin. "But I don't need more drama. I'm trying to move past Alessandra's feud with Rebbie and attempt at establishing common ground with EVERYONE in Michael's family, so thanks anyways."

I rush to the sink, quickly loading the dishwasher. Mom shakes her head. 

"Don't be naive, Nicole--"

"I'm not trying to be naive! The first time in a long time when I'm actually getting along with the people around me is when you and Alessandra concoct this crackpot story about LaToya gossiping about me. And I'm sick of it!"

Mom purses her lips. "I'm just trying to look out for you, dear, we all are. Who knows what snakes you have around you."

I shake my head. "I'll be fine, I promise."

"That's what YOU think. And while those girls are smiling in your face, they're going behind your back and spreading all sorts of nonsense. Well, I won't have it happen to anyone in my family, I'll tell you that. We'll just have to solve this problem without you."

"What are you going to do, Mom? Have my sisters-in-law arrested?"

"No. We'll just spread the same bullshit about them around."

Mom slams the door on her way out.