Hayvenhurst

I walk with Michael into a huge dining room. There are floor-to-ceiling windows on one wall and potted plants placed all around. The sun outside is outshone by a glowing chandelier. A long mahogany table stands in the center. Everyone is seated there, except for Joseph, thank God. I did not want to have to deal with his anger/irritation/antipathy every time he looked at me. The last time I saw Joseph was at the studios with my father: Michael had pulled me away as they talked, and we chatted for a full twenty minutes, that was it, but Joseph whispered threateningly in my ear as he was hugging me good-bye, "Stay away from my son." It scared me to my bones. But, of course, I don't say a thing because I was just so shaken.

"Hey, Nicole!" We walk into a full dinner party already commenced. 

"Sorry we're late. Michael was giving me a tour of the house," I explain, sitting down in a chair Michael's pulled out for me. He takes a seat by me.

"It's okay. We saw you on the second-floor, remember?" LaToya reminds me. I nod. She, Janet, and Rebbie are staring. I play with my collar and shift in my seat. Mrs. Jackson continues the conversation.

"Well, it isn't everyday Michael brings home a girl. I apologize Joseph couldn't be here, Nicole. He had to go to Vegas for a business meeting."

"No problem," I brush off lightly.

"Shall we eat now?" Michael picks up his fork. I melt inside at how gracious he is.

We sail through dinner pretty well for the first five minutes. I soon notice Jermaine and Jackie paying particular attention to me.

Jermaine leans over. "How do you like the food?"

"It's amazing." It's true: the steak is and those biscuits are so buttery...

"So... you and Mike have been dating for a year now?"

"Mhmm." I take my napkin.

"Michael speaks so highly about you."

"Yeah, Nicole," Jackie chimes in. "We've wanted to see you for so long."

The three of us are talking quietly at the end of the table. Anyone would think that we were conspiring against someone, with the way our heads are bent together.

"Michael wanted me to come but Dad always made him visit our home first," I explain.

"Aaaah." Jermaine and Jackie raise their eyebrows at each other.

"Yeah, Michael and Dad are so close now," I affirm. This is somewhat true. "He and Michael go golfing all the time and Dad trusts Michael with his whole heart. Michael's been to our house almost every weekend now-"

"Yeah?" Jackie's brows are scrunched now.

"-he usually stays over, so it's been amazing."

Jermaine tries to cover up his shock badly. "Michael stays over?"

"Yup. Why?"

Obviously these two have been thinking that Michael and Dad couldn't possibly get along and wanted juicy details about their argument last week. What I just said isn't too far from the truth but Michael and Dad aren't currently speaking to one another. Dad got mad because he felt Michael wasn't spending enough time with me and questioned how serious Mike was about me. Whatever that means.

"I heard Michael got into a fight with your father," Jackie fishes. "Your dad was complaining that Michael wasn't serious enough about something?"

"Michael's a great boyfriend. There's nothing to worry about," I argue defensively.