Flashback to 1977, contd.

Michael and I continue to bump into one another at my house, and even once at the Grammys, in the weeks after that.

I remember the Grammys like it was yesterday...

I'm with my parents and my sisters. We enter the huge auditorium, smiling in our gowns. Dad and Mom go to their friends, so my sisters and I take our seats.

I look around and see Michael with his brothers. They're dressed in white tuxedos, their afros obviously fresh. They make their way to seats on the opposite aisle, directly from where we're sitting.

Michael's leaning in his seat, biting his nails, and looks around until his eyes rest on me.

I smile and his eyes brighten. He obviously remembers me at the pool party three days ago.

Michael says something to his brothers then gets up and walks over to me and my sisters.

"Hello, ladies," he says to all of us.

Alessandra and Jennifer smile. "Hey Michael," they both chime.

"Do you mind if I sit with you guys for a while?"

Alessandra says no and shakes her head vigorously.

Michael sits next to me. He gets into a conversation with Jennifer, as Alessandra laughs at every word he says.

When Alessandra and Jennifer are distracted, Mike turns to me.

"Quiet much?" he teases.

I amusingly purse my lips. "Not unless you're talking to me."

Michael takes my hand, out of my sisters' sights.

"I missed you," he says in a low voice. I grin.

"Me too. It's been so long since you pushed me against that wall."

"I never pushed you against a wall," Michael chuckles.

In a stroke of Divine Providence, Alessandra and Jennifer excuse themselves to go and say hi to people.

Michael and I are left alone in our seats, chit chatting, while he inconspicuously holds my hand.

"My father said he's having another meeting with your father," Michael begins, as he taps his foot, "will you be at home next week?"

"Yeah," I reply, nodding my head. "Are you coming with him just to see me?"

"You know I am," Mike chuckles. One of his brothers, Marlon, walks up to us.

"Hey," Marlon says to Mike, his eyes darting between us, "do you want to come back? Joseph is annoyed."

Michael sighs and lets go of my hand. "I'll see you later, Nicole."

"Bye," I say, watching them leave. Marlon looks back at me then whispers something to his brother. 

Alessandra and Jennifer come back, and the show must begin.