Making Plans for Our New Addition

"This is where we end all games. We get back to the seriousness of this tour. No more games." Joseph rubs his face after saying this for the fifteenth time. He's tight, and I know it.

"Look, Joseph," I manage, "I didn't want this to be a burden on you--"

"A burden! Nicole, it's a new life! What the hell..."

Michael rubs his hands together. "I'm feeling this new parent thing... I'm excited."

I smile at him to let him know I'm thankful for the support.

Jermaine grins. "You're gonna be a dad, Michael? Who knew?"

Michael grins back. "I know...I'm... in shock..."

LaToya grimaces. "I understand this is all well and dandy. But, what happens to Nicole when Michael leaves her? She'll need people around to help."

 "Yeah, and I hope you can help me, along with your sisters," I point out. I raise my eyebrows at her. 

"What will Alessandra and Jennifer do?" Janet asks. 

"They'll be at our house every day," Michael says with assurance. "I called them and told them already." 

"What about your mom, Nicole?" Katherine asks. I look her square in the face. 

"My mother needs time where I can tell her alone and let her process the notion of having a grandchild."

Mom is currently finishing her therapy sessions with a world-renowned psychiatrist over in Nice, France. She'll be flying back home tomorrow evening at seven, and staying with me and Michael for a couple of days. 

"Dad wants us to meet with him as well about this," I whisper to Michael. He nods, not pulling away from the conversation in front of us. 

"It's 1983, for Christ's sakes, Mother!" Randy exclaims suddenly. "The press won't be shocked when they hear that Michael will be away from his expecting wife for a couple of months."

"Actually, I'm going with Michael," I interject. Everyone turns to stare. 

"How?? And, I beg your pardon?"

"I'll be traveling with Michael for just the beginning of the American leg, then I'll come back. On Doctor's orders."

Katherine scoffs and shakes her head; I ignore that. 

"I think it's the best idea," Michael. "It's been set, her bags are being packed right this moment."