Flashback to 1977, extended

This is the most memorable part of my flashback, so pay attention...

That next week, I'm loitering around the house. My homework is all done so I head downstairs to the kitchen for a snack.

I get a cup of milk and a couple of Oreos, then enter the living room.

I can hear Dad speaking to people from those closed doors, so I try to stay quiet, reading the newspaper.

As I get to the comics section, I hear Joseph Jackson's voice.

Oh snap, I think. Michael and his brothers are here.

I think about going back to my room and putting on some makeup, so I leave the living room. I'm examining my face in the mirror right in front of Dad's office door when Michael and his brother Jackie step out, closing the door behind them.

"Oh, hey," I say, putting my newspaper on the table. Jackie smiles at me.

"Yeah, you're Nicole. I've heard a lot about you." Jackie grins at his brother.

Michael scratches his arm. He's wearing a long-sleeve, light blue button-down shirt.

"You look nice," I admire.

"Thanks." Michael clears his throat and Jackie gets the message.

"Oh, Michael and I were looking for a telephone. We need to call our mother."

"There's one right here." I lead them to a sunroom at the end of the hallway, where 'important' guests are received, unlike our casual living room.

Michael and I stand right outside the threshold while Jackie calls their house inside. I study my friend standing next to me.

He has his hands stuffed in his pocket and he's rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Are you okay?" I ask. Michael snaps to attention, then takes me out the room.

Dad is still droning on inside the office with the other men. Michael and I stand off to the side of that door.

"Nicole, you know I have feelings for you."

"Yes, Michael. I know."

Michael begins to say more, then glances at the room where Jackie is now saying his good-byes.

In a split second, Michael's got me pinned against the wall, his hands on my waist, kissing me.

I return it with as much love, even though the whole experience is a little scary but thrilling.

"Guys, hello?" Jackie's voice says at the door then it stops.

Michael lets go of me, ignoring Jackie's dropped jaw and incoherent words.

"I'll see you later, Nicole," he says, then enters Dad's office.

Jackie, mouth still hanging, passes me, looking me up and down with wide eyes. I ignore him and climb the back stairs to Jennifer's room.

Jennifer is at her desk, doing homework. I close the door without a word and lay on her bed, staring up at the ceiling and going over what just happened.

I sit up, shocked. Oh my gosh, I think. Michael Joseph Jackson really did just kiss me.