NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP

I'm smack in the middle of a floor, wearing a shimmery gold dress.

Suddenly, Michael appears right in front of me, bending on his right knee.

"Nicole, will you marry me?"

I wake up in the bathtub, the room dark except for some moonlight.

I get out and put some clothes on, headed for the telephone. I dial the Jackson residence.

"Hey, Michael, it's Nicole... please call me back." I hang up. I feel sick about what I did before I slept in the tub. I go back to the bathroom and trash the pills. I never want to see those again.

After I throw up a bit, the phone rings.

"Michael?"

"Nicole, um, it's LaToya... are you okay? You don't sound too good."

"I'm okay, thanks. Where's Michael?"

"He hasn't come home yet. He's with our brothers. Do you want me to leave a message? Um, hello?"

I hear someone ringing the doorbell. I hang up and quietly tiptoe downstairs, carrying a bunch of keys around my knuckle. Dad's gun is lying in the basement, way too far from here.

I peep out one of the windows and breathe a sigh of relief. It's only Michael.

"What are you doing here so late?" Michael's lost his jacket and has bags under his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just needed to talk to you." Michael's scratching his head, glancing around aimlessly.

I look into his eyes. It's like a storm is brewing in them, stress and anger swirling like thunderclouds.

"You look sick." I feel sick.

"I'm okay," he mutters.

"No, you're not. Do you need a doctor?"

"No! Look, I'm good, I just need to rest up."

"Mike, what happened since you dropped me off?"

"Nothing, we—my family, I mean—got into this crazy fight, that's all."

The perfect family, at it once again...

"Michael... you need to stop this—"

"No, you know who needs to stop this, Nicky? They do. Ignorant and stupid as they are, they're my brothers and I can't do anything."

I don't know how to help this boy. I barely understand half of what is going on with him.

"Michael, get a grip! I don't care if you burn your house down, stop that fighting." I cross my arms.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to dump all my problems on you."

"So, why are you here?"

"Why do you have such an attitude? Can't you learn to listen for once?"

I gasp, feigning shock. "Am I the one with the attitude? I'm sorry for giving you all this attention at 4 in the morning! I'm such a bad girlfriend!"

Michael breathes through his nose, turning away for a second.

"You know, I put up with a lot of your bullshit, Nicole. I don't care anymore—if you want to remain this way, count me out."

"What's that supposed to mean?" My heart beats fast.

"Means that, if you want to find me, I won't be there. I have a lot more important things to work on... I can't do this anymore."