$ BILLS BILLS BILLS $

Late 1983 (circa end of September)

I rub my back, stiff from sitting so long. Michael's jamming it out in the studio, and I've been left alone to prepare dinner.

Michael said he wanted pot roast, but there's only chicken, so I'm preparing his second-choice meal: chicken salad with potatoes.

I start cleaning the chicken vigorously in the sink when the phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi there, is this Mrs. Jackson?"

"Yes I am, how may I help you?"

"Oh, my name is Tatiana Riveras, I'm Michael's new choreographer. He told me to call when I've got all the backup dancers ready for the Victory Tour."

"Okay. My husband is here, but halfway across the house. Could you wait while I go get him?"

"Of course."

I place the phone receiver on the counter and go to the studio.

Michael has the music turned up so loud that I don't bother knocking on the door. I find him facing the controls, his back to me, bopping his head.

"Hey... HEY!!" The music stops.

"Oh, hey, baby. Could you give me a few more minutes? I'll wash up soon."

"No, it's not dinner. A woman named Tatiana Riveras called--your new choreographer? She's got the backup dancers ready."

"Ok, thank you..."

"She's waiting for you on the phone..."

I turn my attention back to the sink while Mike talks to Tatiana

I turn my attention back to the sink while Mike talks to Tatiana. I start slicing and skinning on the counter. I hate buying chicken when it's not cut up in filets.

Michael hangs up and sits at the table, rubbing his eyes. "I can't wait till this is all over.... I'm so tired already and we haven't even started."

"It's all that practicing at night you're doing." I sit with Mike while the meat cooks.

"I don't wanna disappoint the fans," he adds quietly. I rub his shoulder.

"Michael, you've won eight Grammys in one night!"

Michael chuckles. "Your point?"

"My point is, the tour is already wildly successful because your name is on it. How much better do you think it'll get once you guys start performing?"

The phone rings again so I get it.

"Nicole, is that you?" Joseph roughly asks.

"Yes, how are you?" I respond gently.

"Michael's in the room?"

"Mhmm."

"Okay. Tell him I spoke to Don King."

"The guy in boxing?"

"Yes, yes. Tell Michael I got Don King to endorse the tour and publicize it! It'll bring millions, put a smile on Michael's face. Go ahead, tell him."

"Uh, why can't you do it yourself?"

"What's the matter, huh?"

I frown. "Michael?"

Michael looks up.

"Your father got Don King to endorse the Victory Tour."

(Don king is the one with the crazy hair)

Michael gets up and takes the phone.

"Hello, Joseph? What do you want?... I don't want Don King to have anything to do with us... Why not? He's in boxing, not music!... Joseph, you're only doing this to pressure me to go... We already agreed on the conditions... I'm going there right now."

"Where are you going?" I call after Mike, who's disappeared. He comes back with his jacket on.

"I need to visit Joseph and find out what's going on. I'll be quick, I promise. Love you."

Michael kisses me then rushes out the front door.

While I'm alone in the house, I receive another call, again for Michael who's still not back.

"I'm sorry, I don't know your name," I regret politely.

"The name's Katherine--Katherine Wyman. I'm Joseph's friend and I need Michael to tell him to give me back my money!"

"Uh, okay, Ms. Wyman, I'll take your name and information down." I scrawl the caller's name on a pad. "Is that it?"

"I need $4,500 in the bank right now. By tomorrow, preferably."

"May I ask why?" I continue writing.

"Joseph promised to pay me back. He had borrowed money from me before while we were in Vegas. Slot machines. He spent it all on the machines."

I frown, hesitating. "Why would Joseph do that? He's very good with his money."

"It was a birthday present. He and I took a two-day trip together. We stayed at a fancy hotel, I forget the name, but I will find the manager to corroborate my story."

I shrug my shoulders, continuing to write. Then, I sit up and gasp.

"Mrs. Jackson? Are you okay?" Katherine Wyman inquires on the other end.

I just realize that I'm on the phone with one of Joseph's groupies.

"Um, Katherine, can I call you back? I really got to go!"

"But, Mrs. Jackson, you didn't finish--"

I rip the paper and toss the shreds into the living room fireplace. Just by luck, Michael comes in that exact same moment.

"Hi, Mike! How was the trip?" I shove my hands behind my back, inconspicuously glancing at the fire to make sure the pieces are blackening.

"What are you doing there?" Mike frowns, hanging up his coat.

"Nothing. I was just... throwing away old newspapers. What did Joseph have to say?"

"Among other things, I apparently have very demanding behavior and my brothers want larger paychecks and feel cheated."

"I'm sorry, babe."

Michael shrugs me off.

"I'm going to bed."

I collapse on the couch, running my fingers through my hair and trying to figure out how to tell Michael about Ms. Wyman without aggravating him even more.