Back to the Future

So, it is 1981 now. Michael and Dad have already had their meeting last year and we did go to Vegas in the summer. Which was awesome, thanks for asking.

Today, Michael and I are meeting his mother. We enter the front door of Hayvenhurst hand in hand, past the large foyer with its beautiful candle chandelier and into a humongous kitchen.

I immediately feel hot. I'm wearing this pink dress, pretty casual but dressed to impress. I shove my hair to my back, fanning myself.

"Nicole, meet my mother, Katherine." Michael kisses his mom on the cheek after he leads me to her.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Jackson," I say.

Katherine is wearing comfy pants and a shirt, evidently preparing a huge dinner for the night.

"Nicole! Please, call me Katherine." She wipes her hands on a dish towel and hugs me, kissing my cheek.

I smile as we part.

"Would you like something to eat?" Katherine asks. Michael smiles at me.

"Uh, sure, Katherine," I say.

Michael and I sit at the table. I look out the back door and see a fountain in the middle of a sprawling flower garden.

While Katherine Jackson prepares food, Michael leans over to talk.

"You're staying for dinner, if I forgot to tell you."

"With your whole family?"

Michael nods.

"Michael, you didn't tell me! I could've dressed up a bit more," I hiss.

He shrugs his shoulder. "That's why I didn't tell you."

I swing my long curls over one shoulder. Katherine sets out two plates of steaming rice, chicken, and biscuits.

"Thanks, Mother." Michael digs in.

"Thank you, Katherine." She smiles at me as I start eating.

Katherine tells us she has to check on the laundry and leaves the kitchen. I deliver a swift kick to Michael's leg.

"Ow!" He protests, wiping his mouth. "What was that?"

"If you had told me we were going to have a sit-down dinner with your ENTIRE family, I would have been more prepared," I explain, biting my biscuit.

Michael wipes the corner of my mouth. "You're fine, Nicole. Anyways, how were you going to prepare for this?"

"Um... you could have told me more about your family so I would look as though I was a caring person."

"You are a caring person."

We both drain our cups of water after our meal. That's when LaToya walks in.

"Hey, Michael—oh... hey."

This girl with really light skin and fluffy black hair stops in her tracks. I look up at her. 

"Hi, I'm Nicole," I start, extending my hand. The girl shakes it.

"Uh, Michael, you didn't tell me Nicole was coming over now?" 

Michael glances at her. "Nicole, this is my sister, LaToya."

"Oh, yeah, I remember you. From TV," I recollect. The Jacksons had their own variety show a few years back, around the time I met Michael at the pool party.

LaToya smiles. "Yeah. We've seen you too, in the magazines mostly."

I nod.

"Nicole will be staying here for dinner. Phone Marlon and Jermaine and tell them to come over," Michael tells LaToya.

"Oh, no, Michael, I don't want a big thing," I say softly.

Michael waves his hand at me. "Don't worry, it's already been planned."

Looks like every Jackson relative in the world will be at Hayvenhurst tonight to see... me. 

Me before I met Michael's mother