3/14/1983

8:14 ante meridiem 

"Jermaine, you guys get ready in the next hour," Alessandra yells outside our hotel room door. 

I haven't seen Michael in the past two weeks, since he had to attend some emergency meetings with his record producers and executives, negotiating a one-billion-dollar entertainment deal. Now, the next time I'll see Michael is when I walk down the aisle in my gown. 

My heart constantly beats in my chest and, every three minutes, threatens to evict my breakfast. 

"Hey, Nicole, Michael told me to give you this," Randy hands me an envelope. Now my heart is really beating fast. 

"Dear Nicole," I read silently, "today's the big day. I'm finally taking you to be my wife. I still remember seeing you by the pool six years ago in that yellow bikini top. I don't have much time to write this because Jermaine is fitting our tuxedos, but I'm writing to say that I love you. I should also take this opportunity to tell you: I signed a contract to build a ranch where you and I will grow our family. You were forever meant to be Mrs. Michael Jackson. See you soon." 

"Nicole, come on, we need to get your hair and makeup ready," Jen says. I wipe a tear and follow her. 

The makeup artist brushes a nude palette on my face and I get a white manicure/pedicure. By 11:45, I'm standing on a platform ready to be pinned up in my dress. 

Alessandra brings out the humongous white satin dress. 

I take a deep breath as it goes over my eyes. I see black for a couple of seconds then come out, fitting my arms through the sleeves. 

Mom zips up my back and Jen helps me fit my tiara on. The lace veil trails behind me, with the equally long train. 

I step down from the dais and look at myself in the mirror. "I look amazing," I gush. 

"Come on, the guys are already down there," LaToya hurries. She and Alessandra help carry my train. 

Those two have been smiling at one another and being so nice, I think it's just the wedding that's getting to them. 

I hear Michael's voice on the floor below. He laughs for a minute then suddenly disappears. 

I grip Dad's arm. He has a solemn face, I guess since I'm the first one he's giving away. 

"You've been a very good daughter to me," he whispers.

We arrive at the double oak doors and two hotel employees open them. 

I wait until my tenth and last bridesmaid takes some steps before we enter. 

I don't take in my surroundings very well because I'm too focused on Michael in the front. 

He's in a black tuxedo, plus bow tie, standing with his hands clasped behind his back. His Jehri Curl is freshly done and he looks so handsome. My anxiety lowers drastically. 

Dad takes my arm and gives it to Michael. They talk in low voices. 

I hear "Take care of her, please" and "Thank you for everything you've done, Connor." 

Michael glances at me but he can barely see my eyes under the veil. 

The minister has a lot to say about faithfulness a spouse has to the other and how Michael and I are embarking on a remarkable journey planned by God. I truly believe everything he says. 

Finally, the minister blesses the wedding bands and gives a gold one to Michael. Mine. 

"Please repeat after me... I, Michael Joseph Jackson." 

"I, Michael Joseph Jackson," Michael repeats, touching the ring to my finger. 

"... take you, Nicole Jayne Kennedy, to be my lawfully wedded wife," Michael continues, slowly twisting the ring onto my finger. 

"...in sickness and in health," he says, "in good times and bad..." 

I almost start crying as he concludes with, "till death do us part." 

"Now it's your turn, Ms. Kennedy," the minister says. "Repeat after me... I Nicole Jayne Kennedy, take you...." 

I repeat it, putting the silver band on Mike's finger. Michael smiles. 

"...in sickness and in health, for good times and bad..." I continue, all the way to the end of my vows, finally fitting the band for good. 

"I bless these rings in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ." Pastor Thomas raises his hands. "I anoint Mr. and Mrs. Michael Joseph Jackson with the blessing of the Holy Spirit. Mr. Jackson, you may now kiss your bride." 

Michael lifts the veil from my face and puts it over my head. 

"Don't cry, sweetheart," he whispers. Michael takes my waist, and gives me my first kiss as his wife. 

The congregation claps and my husband leads me out. 

Michael and I stand by the doors to thank every guest for coming. When the hall is mostly empty, Michael leads me to an elevator. 

"Michael, we need to be at the reception hall in thirty minutes!" Jermaine calls. 

Michael gestures to me like, I need to do something first. 

We ride the elevator to the tenth floor where Michael and his groomsmen stayed for the morning. 

"This is really messy," I tease. 

Michael chuckles, leading me to his room. 

Without saying a word, Michael gazes at me and my dress. 

He kisses me.